We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for Wine Tours/Itinerary around Bordeaux

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for Wine Tours/Itinerary around Bordeaux

Hi,

I 've booked a trip to Bordeaux for 2 and booked accommodation in Bordeaux City center between 4-10 October. Unfortunately, the accommodation doesn't have a car park so I won't be hiring a car.

I was planning to spend a few days in the city centre, then days trips to:

(i) St Emilion;

(ii) Wine tour either around Medoc or Grave (as I generally prefer Cab Sav).

Questions:

(i) Does anyone know if you are able to get to wineries/vineyard by public transportation around St Emilion and if so, which ones would they recommend?

(ii) Any recommendation for 1 day wine tour for Medoc or Grave which picks you up from Bordeaux City center? How much is a normal one day tour for 2 (preferably in a smaller group tour)?

(iii) What are the famous vineyards in Medoc/Grave?

(iv) Or is there is a 2 day wine tour that does both St Emilion & Medoc/Grave?

(v) Are there any wine tasting classes based in Bordeaux city center that you may recommend?

Any thoughts/suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

LC

Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for Wine Tours/Itinerary around Bordeaux

i I am not aware of public transportation in Saint Emilion.

There is a little road train that takes the visitors to different wineries in Saint Emilion. On the top of the hill there is the Maison du Vin where you can get all the info you need (and do some wine tasting).

Best known are: Château Canon La Gaffelière, Château Clos Fourtet, Château Troplong Mondot, Château Villemaurine. All these 4 are "Grand Crues of Saint Emilion" that accept visitors but unfortunatelly with the exception of Villemaurine you need an appointment.

ii The wine tours are organized by the OFFICE DE Tourisme de Bordeaux (if I remembe well around €50/person for one day).

There are a multitude of other companies that can organize wine tours (I think they are more expensive but I am not positive) like: www.bdx-360.com

v Bordeaux Wine School Web Site: www.bordeaux.com/uk/wineschool situated in the center of the town.

More info about Bordeaux wines check out:

southweststory.com/StoryMap.php?id=winbrd

southweststory.com/city-activities.php?id=BOD

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for Wine Tours/Itinerary around Bordeaux

Hi Carly,

Thank you for your helpful information.

To clarify, if I am doing a day trip to St Emillion, presumably, there should enough to do in the city center so I don't really need to venture out further (which requires a car or other public transports).

I assume that without a car, then it's impossible to get to Château Canon La Gaffelière, Château Clos Fourtet, Château Troplong Mondot, Château Villemaurine?

So is it better that I go on a wine tour in order to get access to the above vineyards?

Lastly, do you know which are the famous vineyard to go to Grave/Medoc?

Many thanks

Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for Wine Tours/Itinerary around Bordeaux

Hi,

Château Canon La Gaffelière is some 2 km from the Saint Emilion town center.

Château Clos Fourtet is like 4Km from the town center.

Château Troplong Mondot is Saint Emilion AOC (bears the name Saint Emilion but is some 20km further!)

Château Villemaurine is almost in the center.

You have to keep in mind that Saint Emilion is a small town (on a small hill) and to reach the vineyards you can walk through more or less small roads.

When you will get to the Bordeaux region (that includes Saint Emilion) you will be flooded with brochures, flyers, information about all the wineries - and there are more then 10,000! - in the region (at each corner you will see "vente et degustations"... ).

In my opinion you should stick to the top notch (all of them are good, I am not saying that they are not, but aim for transcendence )

The tours rarely take you to the grand crus but more often to the Grand Vin de Bordeaux, or Crus Burgeois - as far as I know but I might be wrong because there are VERY many offers.

To taste the best you should - again in my opinion - go by your own which is more difficult because you need appointments, but I would say is worthwhile.

If you go to the " maisons du vin" (they exist in Saint Emilion, Margaux, Medoc, Pauillac, Blaye, Barsac etc etc) they can guide you and offer wine tasting (hoping that you are going to buy of course).

Unfortunatelly you do not have too much time to prepare so in my opinion you should go to Bordeaux take a wine tour from their tourist office (that includes Medoc, Margaux, Pauillac) and then take the train to Saint Emilion and do some exploring by your own.

Check you if you still have time:

southweststory.com/StoryMap.php?id=winbrd

4. Re: Recommendation for Wine Tours/Itinerary around Bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, December 14, 2013