We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Sebastián to Lourdes and dinner in Bayonne

Lake Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
San Sebastián to Lourdes and dinner in Bayonne

San Sebastián to Pau for lunch or late breakfast, then to Lourdes then to Bayonne for dinner before going back to San Sebastián. Is this a good itinerary? Any advice on alternatives? Anything special happening at Lourdes in the afternoon hours?

Mentioned in this post
Pau
Pau
Communaute d'Agglomeration Pau-Pyrenees, France
Lourdes
Lourdes
Hautes-Pyrenees, France
Bayonne
Bayonne
Basque Country, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Sebastián to Lourdes and dinner in Bayonne

I assume you will be driving as to do that by train is not possible.

San Sebastian to Pau is about 2 hours drive, Pau to Lourdes about 45 minutes, Lourdes to Bayonne about 90 minutes and Bayonne to San Sebastian about 30 minutes. A long day behind the wheel, lots of money to spent on fuel and highway tolls, but do-able I'd say.

You don't say when you are planning this trip. What happens in Lourdes is depending on the time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Pau
Pau
Lourdes
Lourdes
Hautes-Pyrenees, France
Bayonne
Bayonne
Basque Country, France
Lake Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Sebastián to Lourdes and dinner in Bayonne

Thank you, we are traveling two weeks in early Sepyember throughout northern Spain. An option of our three days in San Sebastián is to drive into France and see a different culture/architecture/lifestyle etc. Plus, we would enjoy the spiritual aspect of Lourdes.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
France
France
Europe
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Sebastián to Lourdes and dinner in Bayonne

It will be a long day but traffic should be fine at that time of year. From Pau don't bother going back on to the motorway to drive to Lourdes, stick to either the N117 (and then D940) or if you are confident about driving the smaller Route de Nay (D936).

Once in Lourdes I would park on the outskirts and then walk in as the streets are quite busy with pedestrians.

I think it is too much to fit in one day so maybe do Saint Jean de Luz, Biarritz and Bayonne on another day. I would suggest driving over one of the cols in the Pyrenees back into Spain afterwards.

Mentioned in this post
Pau
Pau
Lourdes
Lourdes
Hautes-Pyrenees, France
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Basque Country, France
Biarritz
Biarritz
Basque Country, France
Bayonne
Bayonne
Basque Country, France
Spain
Spain
Europe
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,752 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Sebastián to Lourdes and dinner in Bayonne

If you want to get the "spiritual effect" of Lourdes, you have to give it more than a few hours. Are you going for the baths? That takes a bit of time as you have to wait in the line up. The Candlelight Procession is the most moving but it is at night. If you don't have that much time, I suggest you save it for another time and do Biarritz and St Jean de Luz. Remember that to enjoy your meals, you have to invest at least a minimum of 1.5 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Lourdes
Lourdes
Hautes-Pyrenees, France
Biarritz
Biarritz
Basque Country, France
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Basque Country, France
5. Re: San Sebastián to Lourdes and dinner in Bayonne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 24, 2015