We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

Hello,

I'll be arriving in Paris at Charles de Gaulle airport on a Wednesday morning early. I need to get to Turckheim that afternoon (I start a hike the next morning). What I'd like to do is take a TGV to Strasbourg, then a local to Colmar and I'm thinking I can cab from there to Turckheim. For some reason the SNFC site is only showing this as possible on a Saturday morning, or only one chance with a 4 minute change of trains. Is this correct? (I should mention I don't speak French, but the site has some English options.) On the way back I'll be going from Obernai to Strasbourg and then to Paris. Ideally I'd like to arrive in downtown Paris instead of the airport. I'm guessing that a taxi from Obernai to Strasbourg train station is fairly expensive; I'm willing to pay well, but I don't want anything over US$75. Is there a train (can't seem to find info on one) or a bus that isn't too slow? Would a cab be a reasonable option? Where in Paris does the TGV normally go?

Thank you so much in advance for any information you can provide.

Kari (aka LulusMom)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Obernai
Obernai
Bas-Rhin, France
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

Never mind Nick, I went onto your (very helpful) site and figured it out. Have my tickets! 116 euros roundtrip Paris to Strasbourg. I foolishly didn't change which train station on the way back to Paris but will see if I can figure that out later. Just happy to have it done, and appreciate everyone's help.

kari (aka LulusMom)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

Congrats Lulu. :)

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

In relation to your return journey there are local trains from Obernai to Strasbourg. Now you just have to work out which to catch to connet with your train to Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Obernai
Obernai
Bas-Rhin, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

You're right - I do still need to figure that out (the Obernai to Strasbourg part). I will likely do that tomorrow - a little time away from scheduling will do me some good ; ) I gave myself what I hope is plenty of leeway. My train from Strasbourg to Paris doesn't leave until something like 12:30. I'm an early riser and not that big on breakfast so I should be able to make it happen.

Again, many thanks to everyone. What a helpful and friendly group.

cheers,

Kari (LulusMom)

Mentioned in this post
Obernai
Obernai
Bas-Rhin, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

The station in Paris is "Gare de l'Est" NOT "Gare de Lyon".

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

OK, thank you. Someone earlier (I believe the first post) mentioned that it was Gare de Lyon. I'm thinking I might just take the money I saved on buying the ticket in advance and getting a taxi from the airport on my way back straight to my hotel. Saves a lot of dragging luggage around, if not money.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
17. Re: Having hard time w/ French train websites; info on Alsace?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 01, 2014