We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it important to make Sunday a travel day?

Which Strasbourg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is it important to make Sunday a travel day?

We are planning a September trip to France that will include two Sundays. Our best itinerary includes a Sunday in Strasbourg (arrival on Friday, departing on Monday) and want to know if we should revamp our schedule - making Sunday a travel day? I know shops and restaurants are open, but what is closed of consequence to a tourist? Are areas like Petite-France either over-crowded or deserted on Sunday?

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it important to make Sunday a travel day?

I wouldn't have thought you needed to make Sunday a travel day. It's normally Mondays when many of the smaller shops (particularly in the villages) and museums are closed. On Sundays banks* and department stores or major chains are closed in Alsace (and in Germany). In other parts of France Sunday opening is becoming more the norm, but apart from the baker's being open on Sunday mornings, I'd expect very little to be open except for tourist shops.

* ATMs work just fine if there's enough money left in them to pay out!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it important to make Sunday a travel day?

I'm not entirely clear on your suggestion, so I'd appreciate a little more input. At present, I'm scheduled to arrive on Friday and depart on Monday, but am wondering if I should move my schedule forward - arriving Thursday and departing Sunday. From your answer, it seems that may be worthwhile, but I'm not certain. Thanks in advance.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it important to make Sunday a travel day?

I'm sorry if I wasn't too clear ... blame it on advancing old age! All I was trying to say was that if you want to go 'shopping' as in food shops and ordinary commerces, Alsace is closed for business on Sundays, unlike the UK. Museums, tourist shops, and historical sites such as castles, cafés and restaurants are open on Sundays.

All I'm trying to say is that it depends what you want to do on Sundays and Mondays and what sort of a visitor you are. However, I would have thought that if you brought your trip forward from Thursday to Sunday that wouldn't be a bad thing. (Do check your train times though!)

Petite France is the name of a small, mostly residential area, of half timbered buildings adjoining the River Ill in the middle of Strasbourg. Lovely to wander around on a summer's day, but apart from a few cafés and the odd shop, isn't something that should concern you as being 'closed'. The interest is mostly external views of the Benjamin Zix square, the Barrage Vauban, the lock and swing bridge (very attractive, and can be seen on the Batorama boat trip - www.batorama.fr) and the old fortifications.

Does this help? If not, tell me more and I'll try again to reply more appropriately!

4. Re: Is it important to make Sunday a travel day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 16, 2014