We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz/Music venues and a visit to Germany

Sheffield, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Jazz/Music venues and a visit to Germany

Hi there!

Everyone seems so lovely in this forum so I thought I'd try my luck.

My wife and I are coming to Strasbourg from 19th-22nd February and I've been looking for a venue/bar that does music (ideally jazz) but have so far been unlucky. Does anyone know of one we could go to?

Also we would like to cross the border and do a day trip into Germany on one of the days. Can anyone recommend anywhere? I love the look of Heidelberg but I think it'd most likely be too far for a day.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you!

Pete

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz/Music venues and a visit to Germany

Hi Pete and WELCOME!

I'm afraid I don't know Strasbourg well enough to know where you'll find jazz ... you could ask the Strasbourg Tourist Office if they have any particular venues known for jazz. I had a brief look at the jds listing but couldn't find anything for Strasbourg during your stay. I think the Tourist Office would be your best bet ... either by email in advance or dropping in during your stay (or preferably both!)

Did you realise that your visit coincides with the first week of our 'winter holidays'? Not that this means anything will be closed, but there'll be more youngsters around!!

As for a trip to Germany, you don't say if you have transport ... if not the train service locally is very good ... use www.deutschebahn.de

Heidelberg comes in at just under 2 hours trip, and you could spend a good day here (but it will be VERY cold!). Certainly doable. Slightly closer, and something that you might not have considered is Baden-Baden, about an hour away ... and please trust me and bring your bathing costume and a towel. The Caracalla Thermal Baths are tremendous, and nothing similar exists anywhere near Sheffield ... not even over the other side of 't'Pennines' in savage Lancashire!!! I think you'll perhaps enjoy this town more because the journey time is shorter (and don't forget we have limited daylight in February ... gets dark about 5.30) and it is a pretty spa town, with water to try (and politely swallow the first mouthful and then put your glass down ...) elegant shops (and ordinary German ones which are still worth a look) plus you might find jazz there ... you'll have to contact the BB tourist office ... .

I hope this proves helpful and please don't hesitate to post again if I can help you further ... though Strasbourg is not my home city.

Sheffield, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz/Music venues and a visit to Germany

Thank you so much for your reply! Very useful indeed.

I did not know it was during the winter holidays. I'm sure it'll give the place a lovely buzz.

Baden Baden is a great idea. We don't have a car but it's certainly seems accessible by train. Is it worth booking the fares in advance or just getting them on the day?

Thanks again for your help!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz/Music venues and a visit to Germany

You can easily get fares on the day, and even if it's snowy, damp and grey, the baths are very atmospheric outside and the water is warm enough not to feel the coolness of the air temperature!

4. Re: Jazz/Music venues and a visit to Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 01, 2014