We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

Which Strasbourg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

I did a search on the Strasbourg forum but it seems no one has written about their experience with Velhop so I thought I would provide mine. In July 2012 (last week), my partner and I spent a day touring around Strasbourg and the surrounding area on a Velhop bike. The renting process was simple, the advice was thorough, and the price was unbelievable - 5 Euro per day per bike. My bike was in great working order, but my partner's bike operated mostly in one gear (instead of all 3). To avoid the same problem, you might want to take the bike out for a spin in the neighborhood before heading off into the wild. Other than that, we loved the tour. Riding on well-marked, well-maintained roads reserved for bikes exclusively that seem to go on forever was a wonderful treat. We saw quite a bit of the area in a short time (less than 4 hours), interacted with the helpful locals (asking for directions when we were lost) and worked off some calories from all those delicious meals.If you are spending anytime in Strasbourg, barring the depth of winter when it would probably be miserable to ride around in a bicycle, we highly recommend hopping on a Velhop bike to explore this wonderful city!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

Thanks for your report! It told me something I didn't know before, and I think you're mighty brave to cycle in Strasbourg traffic!!

Bad Windsheim...
Level Contributor
256 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

I totally agree - what a great way to get around the city. We hired a bike from the Velhop train station shop and drove up and down the city for a day. The bikes were nice, very comfortable and we got a good map that helped us navigate. An excellent service and a cool way to spend a day (or two)!

BTW: traffic now in August in Strasbourg was EASY! I think a lot of people are out of town and the traffic was not bad at all - and you can drive on the bike lanes almost everywhere!

Recommended!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

This sounds like an excellent idea!!! I am heading over to Strasbourg tomorrow with my husband and although I wanted to take him to some spots along the wine route, a day on a bike through Strasbourg sounds like fun. Where would be the best place to rent them from? Thank so much for the tip!! :-)

Northern California
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

Velhop has 3 locations in town so you can choose one that's most convenient:

www.otstrasbourg.fr/article.php…

I would suggest you call ahead to make sure the rental station is open before going there. For more information about Velhop, check out their website:

http://www.velhop.strasbourg.eu/

Have fun!

kohlberg, germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

Couldn't agree more!! This review is on par with our experience. Highly recommend this experience!

Canton of Vaud...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

Highly recommended. The bikes come with built in locks, and Strasbourg is full of bike lanes. A nice way to get around and get a view of a lot of the Old Town.

7. Re: Great tour of Strasbourg on Velhop bike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 25, 2014