We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

Which Strasbourg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

Dear All,

I am looking at travelling alone to Strasbourg in Mid-Late August for a 4 night trip. 1 day will be at the main city centre (Grand Ille), the second day will be a day trip to Kehl's and the third will be |European Parliament and other places that I missed out on day 1 or revisiting the nice places.

1) How much of Strasbourg will be closed down in August?

(I was looking at a trip to Bologna, Italy in August but was put off by many saying much of the city is close down).

2) Will Strasbourg be worth the money?

Eurostar + 4 nights at the Hilton will set me back £292 + spending money. It's the best deal I can find not just for Strasbourg but for most of Europe as it is the peak season, flights in particular are very expensive.

3) Will 3.5 days be enough to experience Strasbourg?

Based on my research, I think this is enough. Can't really afford to stay longer than that.

Your comments are much appreciated and anything extra you can add.

Thank YOu

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

Dear All,

****I am looking at travelling alone to Strasbourg in Mid-Late August for a 4 night trip. 1 day will be at the main city centre (Grand Ille), the second day will be a day trip to Kehl's and the third will be |European Parliament and other places that I missed out on day 1 or revisiting the nice places.***

Sounds a good start BUT check whether the European Parliament will be open for a tour when you travel. They tend to shut down in August ... why not take the train to Colmar for a day out?

*****1) How much of Strasbourg will be closed down in August?****

All museums,restaurants and shops will be open. What else did you want to see?

(I was looking at a trip to Bologna, Italy in August but was put off by many saying much of the city is close down).

******2) Will Strasbourg be worth the money?****

Only YOU can answer this!! It depends on your budget ...

*****Eurostar + 4 nights at the Hilton will set me back £292 + spending money. It's the best deal I can find not just for Strasbourg but for most of Europe as it is the peak season, flights in particular are very expensive.****

I don't think that's bad but you ARE staying at one of the most expensive hotels in the city.

******3) Will 3.5 days be enough to experience Strasbourg?

Based on my research, I think this is enough. Can't really afford to stay longer than that.********

You could stay in Strasbourg for 3.5 years and not do more than scratch the surface! I think you've made a good start. However if you were staying somewhere cheaper or travelling with another person your costs would come down a bit perhaps ....

Enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

Thank You Alsacienne,

I'm using Expdia to search for Hotels and believe it or not the Hilton is the cheapest hotel (3* or above) during my dates of travel.

I'll check the closure of European Parliament as you have suggested but upon conducting further research I may sacrifice the day drip to Germany and have a day trip in Nancy and visit place stanislas. I think this is will be def more worthwhile then Kehls.

I would like to stay more but this is my second trip abroad for the year and as I am travelling alone, I do not wish to make this trip more costly then I have to. I'll proceed with 2.5 days in Strasbourg to visit the main sites and day trip to Nancy will be good enough, and may revisit Strasbourg in the future if I enjoy my short trip.

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
307 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

KHel is a very small Town and There nothing to see There ..

If you want to go to germany go to baden baden

Edited: 12:32 am, June 26, 2012
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

I agree wholly with Strasbourgmilan about Kehl, but I'd substitute Colmar in France for your day in Baden Baden in Germany (nice though BB is!).

Edited: 12:58 am, June 26, 2012
Kaiserslautern...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

I'm assuming you've looked at hostelworld? That's a hefty price for a hotel and around here it's not really worth it. Check out the hostels and the majority of the time you spend out of them anyway. That way you can save for a delicious dining experience a la france! Tres Bon!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

Nancy is indeed worth visiting, and the Place Stnislas area is magnificent - like central Strasbourg a UNESCO World Heritage Site. If the timings are right on the return you could consider stopping off at either Luneville or Saverne.

7. Re: Independent Traveller to Strasbourg in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 21, 2013