We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colmar vs. Strasbourg

Cape Coral, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Colmar vs. Strasbourg

In planning our trip, we originally had scheduled 1 day in Strasbourg and 1 day in Colmar but have now found a lot of activities (castles, villages, etc.) around Colmar that may warrant 2 days there and skipping Strasbourg. Anyone have any advice?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

Strasbourg is a lovely city that has much to offer, but it sounds as though you like the idea of smaller towns, villages,etc. It really depends upon what you like to do and how you see yourself enjoying these two days.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

we spent two nights in Strasbourg and stopped in Colmar as we toured that area on our way to Provence

I think the Strasbourg Cathedral is magnificent (and I have seen a lot of cathedrals - this one is special) -- and visiting the EU buildings and the older part of the town was very interesting

We stayed on the Cathedral square and loved it --

We visited several of the smaller towns but would not have skipped Strasbourg

Australia
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

Hi, we did the reverse: we based ourselves in Colmar (Hotel Maison des Tetes) and went by train to Strasbourg for a day. That worked well for us. We thought the cathedral was magnificent. Colmar is smaller and charming.

Gibsonia PA
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

How long of a train ride from Colmar to Strasbourg?

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

30-40 mins max with frequent services. Although there is an SNCF website that can give you actual times, it is pretty frustrating in my personal experience to use, so I suggest you use Deutschebahn.de which gives rail times for all Europe and not just Germany.

Gibsonia PA
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

Wonderful! That's not long at all then! We are going to Munich for Oktoberfest for a couple of days late Sept. and would love to visit Strasbourg and Colmar also. We could easily make Colmar a day trip if needed. Both towns look beautiful!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

I certainly think that you could 'do' most of Colmar, albeit superficially, in a day - don't miss the Unterlinden Museum (even if you only see its star exhibit, the Issenheim altarpiece), the Cathedral, the Dominicains Church (where you'll find the painting 'The Virgin in the Rosebush'), Petite Venise, and the Ancienne Douane (old customs building). You may also want to see the Bartholdi museum too (designer of the Statue of Liberty).

Oh and do make sure that you get to eat a Tarte Flambée (like a thin pizza without tomatoes) in Alsace and drink the local white wine!!!

You could walk to the central area from the station - about 10-12 minutes level walking - or take a bus to the Place Unterlinden, which is the central bus interchange and where the tourist office is situated.

There is a little green tourist train that does a loop of the town centre if you want an overview immediately and then visit specific areas in the town afterwards - it takes about 45 mins.

Gibsonia PA
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

Thank you so much for the great trip ideas! I'm so glad I found this region on the map, next to Germany. I will certainly be ready for some good wine after spending a few days at Oktoberfest! And, the tart sounds amazing as well :)

Gibsonia PA
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

One more question. Is the water canal in Strasbourg or Colmar? The

Trip Advisor pictures seem to be the same for both towns, so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colmar vs. Strasbourg

I'm not sure where the picture is that you are referring to ... but Strasbourg has a great tour on the River Ill which flows through the centre of it. The boat ticket office and landing stage is just below the Cathedral next to the Rohan Palace.

The River Ill also flows through Colmar - noticeably in the area known as Petite Venise, but is narrow and is only navigable by flat bottom barge boats taking about 6 persons.