We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which car rental pick-up site to choose

MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Level Contributor
14 posts
117 reviews
51 helpful votes
Which car rental pick-up site to choose

My husband & I are renting a car from Europcar in Paris to drive through the south of France. We will drive from Paris to the Loire Valley using A10 on the S SW side of Paris. Choice of 2 sites: 1) 2 Avenue De la Porte St. Cloud, (called Paris Parc des Princes) or, 2) Face 8 Ave Foch (called Etiole Foch). We are staying in the 8th Arrondisement between the Champs-Eleysee and Arc de Triumph. 2) is closer to us but may be heavy traffic to drive through, and is it a high traffic street? 1) is farther away and on the outskirts of the city. It's just outside Boulevard Peripherique that encircles the city. Probably easier to drive out of the city. BUt will it be hard to get a cab this far out or exceptionally expensive. Both are the same price.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for France
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
56 reviews
27 helpful votes
1. Re: Which car rental pick-up site to choose

If I were you I would take the train to Tours ( Saint Pierre des corps ) in the Loire Valley and pick up my rental car from there. You will save on time ( a lot faster by train about 1h ) and if you buy your train tickets 90 days prior to your departure you will have the best prices possible ( around 15 euros ).

www.capitainetrain.com is the best site to use and not been redirected to the rail europe site which is a lot more expansive.

Edited: 11:19 pm, August 08, 2015
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,808 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Which car rental pick-up site to choose

I wouldn´t take the train, nor would I pickup on ave Foch. If Porte St Cloud is close to your hotel, pickup there and take the périphérique east to the A6 exit and watch for the A10 exit shortly thereafter.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Level Contributor
14 posts
117 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: Which car rental pick-up site to choose

Thanks. But I checked and same cost to get car in Paris as in Tours. So likely will drive out of Paris. THanks for the advice though.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Level Contributor
14 posts
117 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Which car rental pick-up site to choose

I just found another site in the 12th Arrondisement. 38 Av des Ternes (Paris Downtown Office). near Place de la Porte Maillot. Also E of the Arc de Triomphe. THis is closer to the Blvd Peripherique but is inside that Boulevard. Is there less traffic here? Or is it easier to get on the Blvd to get where we need to be?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for France
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
56 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Which car rental pick-up site to choose

The car might be the same price. But you it will take you more time to get there and you will have to add the price of gas + toll if you take the highway to get there. That was more the calcluation I was making. Just that it's not the most interesting drive. It was just another option :-)

6. Re: Which car rental pick-up site to choose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 10, 2016