We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stranded in Le Havre

Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Stranded in Le Havre

The best plans somehow can get screwed up. Traveling on a transatlantic Princess cruise, we had made special arrangements to depart the ship in Le Havre prior to the itinerary termination in London the following day. THE PLAN: take the train from Le Havre to Paris spending three days in Paris and fly back to USA from Paris. THE PROBLEM: the are no direct trains running on Saturday May 10, 2014 into Paris with the exception of trains leaving at 7:50 AM. In fact, according to Rail Europe, the ONLY trains into Paris that day leave at 7:50 AM.(working on the train tracks). The ship does not arrive until 7AM and does not give us enough time to clear France's customs and immigration in time to take a 7:50 AM train. NEW PLAN: we will book an excursion into Paris with Princess cruises, throw our luggage on the bus, get off in Paris and take a taxi to the hotel. NEW PROBLEM: Princess says "no way" because the tour leaves early in the morning and we have to clear customs, we would hold up the excursions plus anyone on the excursion MUST return to the ship. OK, I am now stranded in Le Havre unless I find a driver to take my wife and myself into Paris. DOES ANYONE KNOW A RELIABLE COMPANY THE CAN TAKE US FROM LE HAVRE TO PARIS. Help!!!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

DO NOT use RailEurope. If you read French use www.voyages-sncf.com and if not (or SNCF rejects your credit card) use www.capitainetrain.com to check schedules and buy your tickets. There are track works in that area until between the 9th and 12th of May but not all trains are affected. There are other trains running on May 10th, at 9:11, 9:58, 11:58 etc. But the tickets are not yet on sale (the schedule says "Non ouvert"). So there are more trains that day. Keep checking back every day and at some point soon those tickets will go on sale and other trains may become available that day. Buy the tickets once they go on sale for the cheapest prices.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,536 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

Stay in Le Havre for the day/night and travel to paris the next day?

Le Havre is an interesting city anyway, and a UNESCO World Heritage site, see some amazng Modernist Architecture, then visit Harfleur and the Ship OwnereHouse or the Musee de Vieux Le Havre, for something more vernacular. If that does not appeal and you are more arty, then Le Havre is considered to be the birthplace of Impressionism and has the largest collection of Impressionist Art in France outside of Paris.

If you fancy a day/night spent somewhere more Picturesque, then maybe Honfleur, just across the Seine is more your cup of tea...

Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

I just don't know how long I can wait... Our trip starts in just over two weeks and from April 26 we will be aboard ship ... Many have made the suggestion that we alter our plans, but this will shorten our time in Paris. Any way that I approach the issue presents problems. If I continue on the cruise to London, I lose a day in Paris and have the Eurostar expense. If I hire a driver ( I am finding that this is not easy as many have already booked for that day)' I have that expense...If I extend the trip an additional day, the "change fee " by the Airlines is expensive along with an additional night on the hotel in a Paris.

Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

I just don't know how long I can wait... Our trip starts in just over two weeks and from April 26 we will be aboard ship ... Many have made the suggestion that we alter our plans, but this will shorten our time in Paris. Any way that I approach the issue presents problems. If I continue on the cruise to London, I lose a day in Paris and have the Eurostar expense. If I hire a driver ( I am finding that this is not easy as many have already booked for that day)' I have that expense...If I extend the trip an additional day, the "change fee " by the Airlines is expensive along with an additional night on the hotel in a Paris. captainetrain.com shows only a 7:50AM connecting in Versailles

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

As I said on your three Fodors threads, there are trains from Le Havre to Paris on May 10th at 7:58, 9:11, 9:58, 11:58 etc. However, the tickets are not yet on sale. Even if they are not on sale before your cruise ship departs you can buy a ticket at the train station when your cruise ship docks for 34.50€. Look at your Fodors threads for further clarification as I don't want to re-write here what I've already written on your other threads.

There are no trains that run from Le Havre to Versailles so I don't know what you're doing to get that result from capitainetrain.com so I can't comment on that. Just relax and know that you can always buy a ticket when your cruise ship docks if tickets don't go on sale before your ship sails.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

I must correct myself and as I mentioned on your other thread there is indeed a train from Le Havre to Versailles if you want to buy that ticket but you can also wait until tickets go on sale for the 10th.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,536 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

On another thread yo said you had $$$$ to throw at the problem, and that cost was not really an issue for you.

So which is it?

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

I have taken a taxi with an English speaking driver from where the ship docks in Le Havre to various places in France. I was told that they do take people into Paris but I do not know what it would cost. I believe the company I used is: www.taxis-le-havre.com

You could contact them for information and a price for that trip.

9. Re: Stranded in Le Havre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 03, 2015