We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Armistice Day

Yuba City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Armistice Day

I've been in France working for about a month and will finish out the year here. I'm in Soissons area and I have the day off for Armistice Day. I'm from the US and I was wondering where is the best place to go to witness this holiday? I've been told to go to any of the memorials but I didn't know if one would be better than the others to truly experience this day. I've already traveled to many of them in my time here and would gladly drive to any of them again. Thank you in advance.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Armistice Day

I would imagine that there might be something going on at Compiègne. You could google the website for the town.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Armistice Day

Here is a list of "events" in the Picardie region. In Soissons it starts at 10 outside the cemetery: …france3.fr/2013/11/10/le-souvenir-du-11-nov…

Don't expect much, although you are in the right region for WW1 commemorations. Elsewhere there really isn't much to see or do: it's usually quite short: in the late morning veterans' associations bring flowers, the mayor or some other official makes a speech and that's about it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Armistice Day

And here is another list of events commemorating Armistice Day:

somme-battlefields.com/battlefields/actualit…

Yuba City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Armistice Day

Thank you everyone. I figured since I'm here I wanted to be able to say I experienced it. Plus, it's been very moving to see the memorials and empty bunkers in my explorations of this amazing country. To actually see where it all happened is beyond words. Thanks again

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Armistice Day

I don't think there will be any special events at the Armistice Clearing near Compiegne, which is several miles from Compiegne itself in the middle of the forest. I believe that a special event there would be regarded as triumphalist and insensitive. The purpose of Armistice events now is to remember the fallen.

But if you haven't been before I do recommend visiting the Armistice Clearing at some other time. I found the museum attached to the site even more interesting than the replica carriage where the Armistice was signed.

http://www.musee-armistice-14-18.fr/

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Armistice Day

I would have thought that the CWC would have some event at the large memorial in the middle of Soissons, even if it is only a small gathering for the 2 minutes silence at 11.00.

Edited: 2:59 pm, November 10, 2013
Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Armistice Day

Thankfully there are still several celebrations in Compiègne city center and in the Clearing.Last year,The Prime Minister presided over the ceremony .

www.compiegne-tourisme.fr/imageProvider.aspx…

http://www.unadif.fr/galerie-photos/view/33

It is interesting to remember that in 1940 , eager for revenge,Hitler and Göring came to the same place and carriage to sign an armistice after Germany won the Battle of France.

West of Central Paris,commemoration at the American Cemetary in Suresnes.You even may take a special bus from Suresnes town hall.

suresnes.fr/Agenda/Commemoration-de-l-Armist…

8. Re: Armistice Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 12, 2014