We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few suggestions please...

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
A few suggestions please...

Hi,

I'm going to be spending two weeks in France at the end of June 2014. I am landing in Marseille and I was wondering where I should go from there, I want to spend 5-7 days in Paris, so spend 7-9 days getting from Marseille to Paris - where would you suggest I go?

I am in a tight budget, €50 a day, so hostel avaliablity is a must for me. My transportation costs arent included in that €50 but I will be traveling by rail.

I'm not one for beaches, I love history and food. I would be stoked if there were any food festivals going on anywhere while I was there.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few suggestions please...

There are many places to choose from: Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Montpellier, Nîmes, Avignon, Pont du Gard, Lyon, Le Puy-en-Velay... You'd better get a good guidebook like the Rough Guide.

Buy your train tickets three months in advance to get the best price.

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

or

https://app.capitainetrain.com/

Avoid Rail Europe.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few suggestions please...

There really is no substitute for a good guidebook with some supplementary research on google for opening hours and driving/train times.

We cannot be experts in what you love to do. Everyone is different. Once you have a better idea of what you would like to do then we can tell you what is achievable and help you flesh out your itinerary.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few suggestions please...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, most guides to France I've found have been so far off base for what I want (the 'budget' option for accomodation being €85-€100 a night) I thought asking some real people would be a better option.

I had designs on going to Lyon and Bordeaux for three nights each, but have been put off by the seeming unavaliablity of budget options and was hoping for some suggestions for cheaper areas, but if they don't exist, thanks anyway. :-)

Edited: 3:30 am, September 21, 2013
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few suggestions please...

Have you tried Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books for budget travel?

Other guide books will give you ideas on things you might like to see and where you might want to go

Also try googling Budget Travel Guide

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few suggestions please...

Bordeaux and Lyon are at opposite locations; if you go from Paris to Marseille, forget about Bordeaux. A guidebook will give you invaluable information about where to go and what to see, even if accomodation they suggest is beyond your budget. You could easily find budget accomodation in hostels; there are many on the Paris-Marseille itinerary and you aren't the first one to travel in Europe on a tight budget.

http://www.fuaj.org/en/ http://www.youth-hostels.co.uk/Europe/France

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A few suggestions please...

There are several hotels for about €50 in Lyon, for example, on Booking.com. Try Airbnb and Hostelworld as well.

In my opinion, it would not be a good idea to visit three cities that are roughly the same size (Marseille, Bordeaux and Lyon). Try to fit in one or two smaller places to get some variety.

Edited: 4:52 am, September 21, 2013
7. Re: A few suggestions please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:02 pm, December 31, 2015
Edited: 12:02 pm, December 31, 2015
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few suggestions please...

Thanks so much, I think I will be skipping Bordeaux - it wasn't a long rail journey estimate so I thought it was more central - and adding a few days in a smaller town.

Also Diz, I hadn't considered camping, €50 euros a day isn't much for accomodation+food+sights! Ill look into campsites, thanks so much!

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A few suggestions please...

A very convenient place with youth hostel and campsite close to Avignon Centre:

http://www.campingbagatelle.com/61/Contact_/_Accès.html

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k6856…

Same thing near Lyon.

You'd find a campsite in Paris Bois de Boulogne 's area too.

camping-indigo.com/en/…emplacements

france-voyage.com/travel-guide/rhone-alpes-r…

The cheapest budget hotels in france are often located in the outskirts and would probably require a car:

F1 hotels, Premiére classe, Fasthôtels,Lemon hotels ,Etap hotels, B&B hotels,Kyriad,Campanile...

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few suggestions please...

<<it wasn't a long rail journey estimate so I thought it was more central - and adding a few days in a smaller town.>>

You can't learn much about geography by length of rail journeys. You absolutely need a good map of the country to figure out where things are in relation to each other and the distances between them. Just because it's not a long trip by train does not mean that Bordeaux is on the way between Marseilles and Paris. And Bordeaux is not "a smaller town." You've got plenty of time to research this trip pretty thoroughly.