We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

speedos in France mandatory?

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Topic
speedos in France mandatory?

Is it true that men are required to wear speedos in pools in france?

I am planning on visiting the coast in the north of france this summer but would like a heads up on this topic as I will mostly be spending my time at the beach and pool.

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,240 Reviews
from $103.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
4 replies to this topic
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: speedos in France mandatory?

Only at public pools.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: speedos in France mandatory?

They don't have to be bikini style speedos. They also come in boxer short styles. As an American who was used to wearing the loose fitting long short style swim trunks I've become a convert to the boxer style speedos. They're much more comfortable because they don't chafe and cling to your thighs when wet and give you rashes nor do they trap sand and they also dry much faster. Once you've made the switch you'll never go back.

Edited: 1:36 pm, June 07, 2018
Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: speedos in France mandatory?

You will see plenty of regular boxer styles at the beach...

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,969 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: speedos in France mandatory?

Basically the rule for public pools is that the male swimming costume must be sufficiently skimpy to make them unwearable on the streets outside, the short-legged boxer style seems perfectly acceptable (and they dry rapidly too). Some, probably an increasing number, of private pools (hotels, for example) enforce the same rules - and they are now commonplace elsewhere in continental Europe too.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Reply to: speedos in France mandatory?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted