We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

7 posts
Save Topic
How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

I am trying to rent an apartment in Paris, https:/…p1443055a

I just made the reservation in homeaway and submit my cc info, homeaway did not charge anything and homeaway told me that the owner will contact me to submit payment and I just recieved an email from cocoonflat that I have to confirm my reservation and pay 30% and go to this website http://cocoonflat.com/en/account/login. I just want to make sure its not a scam.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,280 Reviews
from $104.00*
6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,617 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

I think I would not deal with a landlord you are not sure of who doesn't accept payments through homeaway.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

I have used Homeaway (homelidays, abritel etc.) many times. The feature of paying through them is quite new to me, first time this year. (Last year I used TA for renting and paid through TA.) Before, I have contracted with the owners and paid to their account. Everyone so far has been honest, and we have had wonderful contacts with these people. The same case is likely this year (knocking on wood now), a charming French family with excellent response in discussions. Homeaway charges a fee on top of the rent, about 5%.

I quickly took a look at cocoonflat.com and did not like the fact, that there is absolutely no information about the company, the people behind it etc. There should be. This is actually mandatory in the EU. So, this would be my simple and sufficient reason to rent from someone else, be this one scam or not.

I would never rent from anyone i had not spoken with, found the necessary background information, made sure that the people or company are what they claim to be etc. As simple as that. This year, I paid 100% in advance in December for a vacation in June. For doing that, I had to be quite confident.

One important thing today are authentic references and reviews. The best web based services make sure this important service is available to their members.

Dalfsen, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

Hello,

I have the same, I got a mail from cocoonflat.com.

Did you discover something about this company? Is it save?

Kind regards,

Meline

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
24,252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

I would not attempt a stay at any apartment, regardless of the platform at which it is listed, that did not openly display the city required, 13 digit registration number indicating that the rental is legal to rent short term.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

I don't find it unusual that they want you to book through their website rather than Homeaway. It's an agency that lists their apartments on many website (Homeaway, booking.com abritel, and their own, for some). So those websites are just advertising vehicles for them. I'm sure for them, it's easier to handle finances through one portal, their own.

I suspect it isn't a "scam" in the sense that this is a very elaborate website and they have listings in numerous places for years, but that doesn't mean the rentals are legal, either, with the city. I agree they should list the Paris registration number if it is legal, and I don't see that anywhere on any of their websites.

I also agree with the comment that their website doesn't even have a section with the "about us" and giving a location adress, etc. They appear to be some website/management company that handles rentals for private owners who want to list with them. Lots of those around. The thing that is funny is that their front page says you should book through them as there are "no agency fees", as an advantage. Which is pretty funny since they are an agency, and I presume they are charging the owners something for their website and mgt services. They claim to handle the process of arrivals, etc., also at times so that's definitely my idea of an agency.

I wouldn't deal with them myself, they aren't professional.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?

I would not do it either. Why to lose sleep over whether or not you will have a place to stay once you get to Paris?

Reply to: How to know rental properties in homeaway is not a scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted