We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester Weekend

iom
9 posts
Save Topic
Manchester Weekend

Hi

Coming to Manchester next w/end, staying @ Radisson Edwardian for 2 nts. Coming with wife both aged 30.

Was planning on cocktails in the newHilton bar, then night in bars/club and chinese after

Looked on web and clubs like ampersand/panacea sound cool, are they decent for a night out, or would you recommed the locks instead?

We're going to kylie on sat (wifes choice) and thought we would have meal at Living room first, then kylie then bars/clubs.

Any bars/clubs recommended would be appreciated

cheers

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester Weekend

Hi, problem with Ampersand is getting in, go on their website and e mai theml is probably the best idea, its a very good club and its close to Deansgate locks.

Restaurant wise I'd go to either Establishment on King St or Obsidian on Princess St, but book first.

Cocktails at the Hilton is a good idea, but get there early too.

Enjoy.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester Weekend

All of those places are the trendiest bars, restaurants and clubs in Manchester so if you're the sort that can get into one you'll be able to get into them all!

Ampersand is hard to find but very good. It's also above the best Spanish bar and tapas place in town (El Rincons) that's always busy and lively.

Panacea is the true footballer's and vacant model hang-out. Great if you like that sort of thing but I object to paying £4-5.00 for a bottle of beer and waiting half-an-hour to do so whilst the bar-man mixes some fancy cocktail. But then, I've always been a miserable old what-not!

But, the people in there are gorgeous and it's interesting to just take in the atmosphere if nothing else. I imagine it'll be busy. What with Kylie being in town and Manchester United being at home.

I really don't like the Locks but they are very popular. There are a number of different bars so it's very easy to wander between the places, but - in my opinion - they've lost a bit of their glamour (and they're all so big, so will let anyone in) and can be a bit rough. Maybe I was just a bit unlucky on my last visit.

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester Weekend

I agree with the previous post about getting there early at the Cloud 23 bar at the Hilton. The bar opens at 5pm so the sooner you get there the better. You can make a reservation to get in but beware, I've heard that they will charge you if you're late. Nevertheless the Cloud 23 bar is well worth the visit to see the view of Manchester and experience the atmosphere of it all.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester Weekend

Markpool...Establishment's closed, apparently.

A few weeks (months???) ago they weren't able to sell alcohol because - apparently - they hadn't got their licence sorted out! It's not exactly a BYO type of place!

It's such a prime spot, I'm something will open there before too long.

iom
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester Weekend

Thanks for the info, hmmm sounds like I've selected bars for wannabe wags?!

Just really want a few ales in decent bars and a club afterwards. Will try and get a reservation in amerpsand.

Think were gonna have a chinese at yang sing? think it's called that, it's recommended in these forums.

Think I will steer clear of trendy bars then and go in search of proper manc boozers!!

Cheers everyone

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester Weekend

Yes it is called Yang Sing - it's the best chinese in town in my opinion.

7. Re: Manchester Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, August 24, 2009