We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summertime football

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Summertime football

Hi,

My family will be traveling in the Manchester-Liverpool area at the end of July, beginning of August 2007.

This may be the only time I will ever get to see english football in person. We are able to watch the EPL here in the states so I know that they will be on break. Will there be any friendlies or other leagues still playing?

Thanks in advance!!!

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Summertime football

Pre-season friendlies for most clubs start in the third week of July. The biggest teams, though (like MU or Liverpool) can manifest their friendlies as overseas tours or tournaments.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summertime football

Curious, thank you for the info! At least I might get to catch Man City, Wigan or somebody! I would be happy with Championship or League 1.

Thanks again.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summertime football

The bigger teams, when not abroad in tournaments, tend to play their friendlies away from home to support smaller, local teams. You'll often find Man United playing at Altrincham and Bury during these months but as most of the first team is away selling shirts you may only get to see a couple of well known players.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summertime football

In that area of the NW there are many teams who'll have pre-season friendlies, not just the "big" clubs of Man U, Liverpool but also, Man City, Everton, Bolton, Wigan Preston, Oldham, Burnely, Stockport, Macclesfield, Tranmere, these are all possibilities if you hire a car.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Summertime football

The "Champions League" contest for the best club in Europe usually kicks off on the second Tuesday in August, for the 3rd and 4th best teams in England (1st and 2nd enter in a later round). Liverpool often finish 3rd or 4th!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summertime football

Thanks everyone,

Westlondon-unfortuneately we will be gone by the 2nd week of August but thank you.

Bojangles-We will be staying in the Preston area for at least a week as my sons will be attending a football school there. I can hopefully find some freindlies in the areas that you listed. We will then split a week between London and Manchester.

Am I making a mistake by thinking that tickets to friendlies will be easier to get, or should I plan on purchasing them before we come over?

Thanks

7. Re: Summertime football

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 17, 2009