We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Where to stay - Whitworth St West or Strudehill?

Glasgow
4 posts
Save Topic
Help! Where to stay - Whitworth St West or Strudehill?

We are coming to Manchester for the weekend in January and have the choice of 2 apartments. One is the Blue Rainbow Apts in Whitworth Street West, the other is the Premier Apts in Strudehill North Quarter. Can anyone please tell me about which is the best area as a base for eating / drinking / sightseeing? Don't really want to stay anywhere that's dodgy to walk at night. Advice much appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Where to stay - Whitworth St West or Strudehill?

Manchester city centre is fairly compact so it wouldn't make too much difference where you stay - all bars, restaurants and sight seeing would be easily available from either place.

Personally I prefer the Northern Quarter - drinking at Odd, Bluu, Rodeo, The Bay Horse...... That said, the edge of the Northern Quarter might be a bit dodgier at night but, not that bad and easily avoidable. Oh, and I think you mean Shudehill?!?

Plenty of good places near Whitworth Street West as well - Rain Bar, Peveril of the Peak (proper pub), Britons Protection (another proper pub), Deansgate Locks (row of 'trendy' bars), Castlefield - Dukes92, Alberts Shed.

Both places are fairly close to tram stops but, you'll only need a tram if you are going out to Salford Quays or Old Trafford - easy to walk around the city centre.