We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do over the christmas break?

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
spain
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
What to do over the christmas break?

Hi

We will be visiting Manchester from the 24/12 - 1/1

Can anyone give me any ideas of what to do, we are two women and a six year old boy

Also any ideas for a great restaurant that is family friendly as it is my mothers birthday on the 24th and we want to go somewhere nice.

We are likely to be staying in the Midland

Also any great spas in the area?

And does anyone know the trading hours over christmas?

Alot of questions i know but we are looking forward to this.

One last question does anyone know of a great place for christmas lunch???

Thanks

Natalie

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do over the christmas break?

1) The UK starts closing down from about midday on the 24th & therefore there may not be any restaurants open on the evening of the 24th ESPECIALLY as the 24th is a Sunday - and a large number of them will have been doing Christmas Lunches / Christmas dinners for office parties for most of December.

2) The UK is closed on the 25th, no shops, no public transport, no entertainment except the telly - well not totally, small shops, ethnic restaurants MAY be open for people who haven't pre-booked. Other restaurants will be open but only for people who have pre-booked or, if part of a hotel, for hotel guests. Taxi's will be extortionate and should be pre-booked

3) On the 26th you'll find SOME shops will be open but you may - or may not - have public transport to them. Ditto for eating & entertainment

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do over the christmas break?

For Manchester in particular, everything is closed on Christmas Day (25th), except for maybe McDonalds and possibly Chinatown or Rusholme. Manchester city centre re-opens on 26th but not all the shops will be open and some may do shorter days. Public transport runs a reduced service on bank holidays.

If you are looking for a traditional Christmas lunch, an idea might be to book this with your hotel as they will probably have something laid on and you may get a good deal if you link it with your room. Otherwise you will be looking at a high price if you go to another hotel or any of the restaurants that may be open.

Restaurants on 24th are likely to be fully booked for Christmas parties, so when you find somewhere, then be sure to make an advance booking. There are a wide variety of restaurants in Manchester, so you will need to be a little more specific if you need recommendations.

Manchester isn't really renowned as a spa town and there are only a couple in the city. The spa at the Lowry hotel is supposed to be nice, but it is very posh and expensive. R3 Holistic therapies http://www.r3holistictherapies.co.uk/ is a little more reasonable and I can recommend that. They aren't cheap though - a 1 hour massage costs about £40 to £50.

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do over the christmas break?

24th will be very busy in the shops, and just a word of warning, many people finish work at lunchtime and head for the pub so you might come accross a few drunks.

many shops will start their sales 26th - if you want to go bargain hunting the traford centre is a place to head but again will be busy.

Just outside manchester is some lovely country side - do you intend to hire a car? The weather may be rainy or even snowy but if it is clear and you have a car take a trip out into the countryside.

I agree about eating in the hotel. Any restaunt serving christmas dinner will have been booked weeks in advance.

It's quite traditional for people to go to the cinema boxing day (26th - sorry not sure if you call it the same) You also MUST go to see a pantomime - well obviously I can't force you to but with a 6 year old it would be a shame to miss one - you will probably have to book in advance- the opera house has snow white - above all enjoy yourselves thisistheatre.com/regional/manchesteropera.h…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do over the christmas break?

Hi

Good family friendly restaurants are The Olive Press, Croma and Piccolino's - all fairly close to the midland. Most restaurants are OK for children though.

I'm not sure if there is a Spa at the Midland, but there is one at the Raddison Hotel which is a very short walk away - about 2 minutes. There is also a very good Spa at the Lowry Hotel and at Holmes Place health club/gym at the Printworks.

Christmas Eve will be very busy with late shoppers and office workers finishing for the Christmas break. If the weather is decent (i.e. not raining) then the city centre can have a great atmosphere at this time. Christmas day everything is closed - you're best staying in your hotel, make sure you have booked in for your Christmas dinner. Boxing day (26th) should be a bit more lively with some shops starting their post Christmas sales - more bars and restaurants will probably be open.

For Christmas lunch it's probably just the hotels - I'm sure the Midland will do a good Christmas lunch. Other than that you might want to look at the Radisson, Auroa International, The Lowry, The Rosetti or the Malmaison.

Generally for restaurants during your stay, just check a few of the recommendations on this forum - you might even want to check their websites or give them a call to see if they are open for Christmas Day lunch.

Hope this helps!

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do over the christmas break?

Christmas Eve is actually a Sunday. Sunday's are generally shorter trading hours anyway, so not sure yet how this will affect Christmas Eve. Will post more information when I find out.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do over the christmas break?

As Christmas Eve is a Sunday you will not have to content with drunken office workers who have finished work at lunchtime. As regards a pantomime, if your child's first language is Spanish the humour might not translate. You would need to pre-book your Christmas lunch, I think the suggestion of having it at your hotel is a good one.

7. Re: What to do over the christmas break?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 17, 2009