We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

I'm nervous about flying already and reading about the recent developments regarding terrorists plan to blow up flights mid-air from the UK to the US just freaked the hell out of me. I live in Toronto, Canada and am planning to go to Manchester end of September. I'm not going to lie, I am almost reconsidering going because I am freaked out. I know some people will 'well, you can't let that stop you from travelling and blah, blah, blah' or 'if its your time to go..'. I am trying to keep positive here but, its hard - I really am more nervous than ever to take this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

Then stay at home. No problems. We will understand. No blame will attach to you . No-one can advise you - its your choice.

But please don't lets fill up these pages with "is it safe?" messages for the next 2 months. There's probably no safer time to fly if you think about it.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

It is as safe as it always has been. You might find the journey a lot more boring with nothing to read and only the inflight movies to watch.

Remember the majority of people killed in 9/11 were not flying and the majority of people flying were not killed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

peterscot: no need to get sassy, I was just expressing a concern of mine and have no intention of going on about this for the next 2 months.

Mr. Cellophane: Thanks for being understanding. I totally agree with you on your 9/11 statement.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

BeagleGal1 - Rest assured the forces here are one step ahead of the terrorists. It will be safer to fly transatlantic now than ever before with the extra security.

It will inconvenience passengers but it is a small price to pay.

I understand your fears especially if you are a nervous flyer but you will be perfectly safe.

Hope you enjoy Manchester!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

I wasn't being sassy, whatever that is. I was stating my view, which you requested.. My view is, that if you are at all concerned then stay at home.

No one will think the less of you for making a personal and difficult decision.

My concern is that travel forums like this get swamped with "Is it safe?" questions, which no-one can really answer. Nothing is safe these days. So everyone must make personal decisions on how important travel is to them compared with possible risks.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

There were similar questions raised on the 7th July 2005 following the horrific London Bombings.

We were travelling to London the following day. We were fine.

We arrived back into London on the 23rd July after the second incidents and were quite apprehensive. Obviously we were fine.

You are actually lucky, BeagleGal, travelling when you are because there will be far more security and people will be far more alert. My belief is that you will be safer travelling in September than you were last July.

You are more likely to expire from terminal boredom while reading the aircraft magazines and drinking airline liquids than you are to succumb to a terrorist.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

Dicanio: Thanks for your input and putting my mind to ease. When I wrote this topic, it was just when I read about it and was just thinking of the worse scenarios that could happen when I fly out. Anyways, I appreciate you making me feel better.

Peterscot: Sassy here means lippy/feisty. You're right, I did ask for input and you put your two cents in so... that's cool.

To be honest, I never really thought I was one of those people who would write in and be like 'is safe to do this or that'. Like I told Dicanio above, I wrote that just as I heard about the situation because I was freaked out. I'm a nervous flyer to start with and it doesnt take much to rattle me. Anyways, having said that - I'm cool now... its alll good. I just needed a bit of reassurance...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

Beanalainn:

You're a sweetie and I appreciate your input. Thanks for being understanding... Like, I told Peterscot, I wouldnt normally write a topic like this when a situation such as this, has happened. Now I feel like a silly wuss having people reassure me.. Didnt mean to subject my fears and paranoia unto you all - moment of weakness...

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

Mrs Beagle...as someone who has offered a bit of advice on some of your previous posts I think it would be a great shame if you didn't come across.

The stats are pretty clear. It's far more dangerous to cross the road than it is to fly on a plane.

I honestly think that by September most of this will be forgotten about.

I also hope that some good will come of it and people won't be allowed to take electrical things on planes. I hate listening to someone's muffled music from their headphones on their i-pod or walkman, I hate the guy next to me tapping away on his lap-top when I'm trying to sleep and I dread the thought of airline's allowing mobile phones to be used. Ban 'em all I say!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrorist plots unfoiled... safe to fly to UK?

NFMac:

Again, I didnt mean to come off sounding like a sucky baby - I was just freaked. I am still going to go because I had promised some friends there that I would come to visit and I already have the time off work to go, so off I shall!

You're funny - ban all electronics, eh? I could see how that would be annoying but, what are we suppose to do on a 6-7 hour flight??? I guess I could braid my hair or wax my legs! :)