We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Manchester in March 2014

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Manchester in March 2014

Hi,

I am planning to visit a friend in Manchester around 3/14 - 3/21.

She is in the area for work for a month

Can you recommend a place to stay (several price ranges would be good), what to do in Manchester area, we will not have a car which is probably a good thing since I can't drive a standard shift and it is on the other side of the road. We might spend the weekend in London. Is this a good idea? Where should we stay? Any suggestions about the train from London to Manchester.

I am thinking of flying in to Heathrow and taking the train to Manchester rather than waiting 3-4 hours for the 1 hour plane trip. Is this a good idea.

What about pubs and such in Manchester and London?

Affordable theatre in London?

I have never been to England and I am so excited.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Susan from Boston

Whaley Bridge...
Level Contributor
115 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

Hi,

Can pick up a few of your points:

- Weekend in London, always good - as for theatre, it comes at all prices in the West End, though it's worth finding deals, or going to the TKTS booth on the day - don't go for the cheap tickets at normal price, they're usually pretty poor (used to work in West End ticketing).

- I'd probably get the plane from Heathrow to Manchester, to be honest. It takes around 45-60 minutes by tube in to central London, and then 2 hours on the train to get from London to Manchester, and, unless you're booked on to a specific service, will probably be more expensive anyway.

If you do plan any weekend visit to London, www.virgintrains.co.uk is the best place for you to search for tickets and timetables, though if you do book a specific train (cheapest tickets usually), you must catch it, you cannot travel on another service.

For what's good, I'd suggest just browsing the rest of TA and these forums, there's a whole wealth of information to be had both here and on the London pages.

Hope that you have a great trip :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

I would fly up too, as you are already at Heathrow. You can use your layover time to clear Immigration at Heathrow. When you arrive in Manchester you will just need to pick up your luggage. It's a short walk from T3 at Manchester airport to the train station. 20 minutes on the train to Manchester Piccadilly. Look at www.nationalrail.co.uk/ for your trains.

Try and choose a hotel near Piccadilly in Manchester there's a few of varying budgets. Malmaison, Doubletree by Hilton, Premier Inn to name a few. Look at laterooms.com/en/k17384308_manchester-piccad… for a few ideas.

Look at some of the forum posts for things to do, this subject comes up on a daily basis and advice seldom differs. For London advice post/look on the London forum.

Enjoy your visit.

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

Yes London's a must ,like my friends have stated you can get very cheap fares for M/ C to London if you book in advance,try googling Virgin Fare Finder ,you can book in advance and pick the tickets up from the stations ticket machines ,all you need is your ref number.

We have just returned from another great London weekend ,we love it,so much to do and see.Check out that forum for pubs and restaurant advice.BTW you will need several weekends to see only a fraction of what London has to offer.

You won't need a car in Manchester ,a very walkable city with dozens of cracking pubs and restaurants .Stay in touch when you arrive for daily advice .

I agree fly to M/C unless it incurs a lengthy stopover ,but there are regular fairly cheap flights,especially when you take into account the cost of the tube and the train.

Stay in touch you will be very welcome.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

A few pubs/bars I can recommend in Manchester are the Marble Arch, Briton's Protection, Port Street Beer House and BrewDog.

There are too many pubs in London to mention, and I've only been to a few of them, but I'd recommend the Coal Hole on the corner of the Savoy Theatre on the Strand, and the Punch & Judy in Covent Garden. Drinks in the latter are expensive, but they have a large open balcony from which you can view the street entertainers that Covent Garden is famous for.

Edited: 9:16 am, February 09, 2014
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

Picking up prepurchased train tickets at the station 'all you need is your reference number' Wrong. You also need the card with which you bought tfe tickets, as the machine checks it before issuing the tickets

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

Susan - there are a number of routes from Boston to Manchester with one change of plane - I've done via Dublin & there are lots of other options - one of these may work out better then Heathrow + wait/train unless you've already got the ticket. A quick search I did suggested that via Philadelphia was both quicker and cheaper than via Heathrow.

If you're interested in theatre you may want to see what's on while you're in Manchester. In the city centre there's the Royal Exchange, Palace and Opera House in the city centre and the Lowry at Salford Quays (easily accessible by tram or bus).

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

So many things to see and do around Manchester but do try to fit in a day trip to Chester. Easily reached by two train routes in about an hour from Mcr and enough Roman ,medieval , Tudor and Georgian buildings to satisfy anyone wishing to get an overview of what England has to offer.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

I was in Chester a couple of weeks ago (for the usual pub crawl!).

Went with a couple of mates from work, and one of them who is local to Liverpool, had never been on the city walls!

He's late 40's and had NEVER been on the city walls - I was gobsmacked. He enjoyed it though, probably because he knew the Bear & Billet was only around the corner. ;-D

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

Manchester has a number of free libraries, art galleries, & museums which you may like to visit. I have listed some of my favourite attractions below (there are many more, 113 listed here on trip advisor). If you are unable to visit them all during this trip, why not use it as an excuse to return in the future.

John Rylands Library, Manchester Central Library, Manchester Art Gallery, The Lowry, Museum of Science & Industry, Greater Manchester Police Museum, The Manchester Museum, Imperial War Museum North and National Football Museum.

I hope you have a enjoyable vacation.

10. Re: Visiting Manchester in March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 13, 2015