We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-game warm-up

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malmo, Sweden
12 posts
Save Topic
Pre-game warm-up

Hi

Me and my son (16y) are visiting Manchester this week and we´re going to see Man Utd on saturday. What is the easiest way to get to The Bishops Blaze and how long before the kick-off should we go there? To avoid a queue..?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-game warm-up

Assuming you're coming from the city centre then the easiest way is probably the bus as I believe there will be some that stop outside the Bishops Blaize (e.g. Piccadilly Gardens to Chester Road/Warwick Road on the 256 I think).

The tram is also an option, get an Altrincham tram from any of the city centre tram stops and get off at Old Trafford - cross the tram lines and walk staight up the road, past the cricket ground and keep going, Bishops Blaize is opposite when you get to Chester Road - 5-10 minute walk.

A taxi would be about £10 from the city centre.

As a first(?) time visitor I'd suggest getting there a couple of hours before kick off and leaving to go to the ground at least 30 minutes before kick off.

2. Re: Pre-game warm-up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:31 am, December 16, 2013
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-game warm-up

Assuming you're a first-time visitor - I'd get to the Bishop's Blaize very early for your initial 'warm-up'.

But surely you will want to see things outside the stadium (eg Munich memorial, statues of Best, Law, Charlton etc) before the match, perhaps even go in the very busy Megastore.

Your pub is about 10 mins walk from the stadium and you could also spend quite a bit of time outside the stadium as I've suggested. And you can do a final 'warm-up' (as you call it) from the bars inside the stadium.

For info, both teams will come on the pitch sometime around 1425 for their own warm-ups (kicking footballs, not drinking!) lasting about 20 mins, so if you want to see that as well as the match itself, enter the stadium well before.

Malmo, Sweden
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-game warm-up

Thanks for your reply.. We visited Manchester this summer when the football-season was over so we've seen all the attractions. So it's out first game live. :)

What's the legal drinking-age?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-game warm-up

18 is the legal drinking age in the UK.

it can get busy in the Bishop Blaize, but that adds to the atmosphere. Getting there early won't make much difference, you will still have to queue at the bar everytime you want a pint..and a cola for the youngster!!

Enjoy your trip.

Singapore
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-game warm-up

Enjoy your trip and the game. The walk up from the tram station along Sir Matt Busby Way to Old Trafford is captivating with fans of all ages going to the game. Brilliant atmosphere on matchdays

Malmo, Sweden
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-game warm-up

Thank you all.

We are very excited about this trip and cant wait for thursday to arrive! :)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-game warm-up

Being a City fan I have no personal knowledge of the Bishop Blaize on match days, but I would not be surprised if entry was restricted to over 18s. Many pubs, including the BB which is part of Wetherspoons, do normally allow children of all ages up to early evening, but this is not a normal day, and I would imagine they will have door staff on.

Can anyone say definitely what their rules are? If no-one has replied by tomorrow I'll give them a ring.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-game warm-up

Can't answer about the Blaize, but I've been in to a couple of other pubs near Old Trafford on a match day and they have door staff on and did not allow minors in.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-game warm-up

I phoned them anyway. They wouldn't say no or yes, saying it depends how busy the place is, and who the door staff are. I know that's not helpful, but at least it wasn't a definite no. If you have any problems maybe you should explain that it's a once in a lifetime visit for you. I guess if you arrive early you might have a better chance - but then if you don't get in, you'll have lots of time to kill...

In any case, the area outside will be full of fans, and there will be a good atmosphere.