We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Hi all

I'm visiting Manchester on Wednesday 4th December for two nights, taking in the Manchester United v Everton game.

I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some help with please?

1.) What would be the best/cheapest way to get from Manchester Airport to our hotel, which is the Premier Inn Old Trafford? We'll be arriving at 8:05am, should that make any difference at all.

2.) On the day of the match, I would quite like to go to a local pub that will have other Man United fans, is there any in the area that you would recommend?

3.) I'm also thinking of visiting the Christmas Markets on the Thursday evening and was wondering where the nearest or best place to go is? My own research would suggest that Albert Square is the place to be. If so, can you recommend the best way for me to get there from my hotel?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Hi,

1.) Train to Piccadilly, then tram to either Old Trafford or Exchange Square. I would guess Exchange Square would be the closest to your hotel, so you want an Eccles and/or Media City tram. You'll probably hit rush hour if your flight is on time, so maybe best not to consider a taxi. There might be bus options, but I'm afraid I don't know those - of course they can get snarled up in the traffic as well. I reckon train and tram will be your best bet.

2.) All the pubs around Old Trafford will be very busy and 99% full of United fans. The Trafford and The Bishops Blaize for the noisiest/rowdiest. Sam Platts for a decent one that is also close to your hotel. There are others at Salford Quays and by Trafford Bar tram stop, but I think on of those three mentioned above will suit.

3.) Get a tram from Exchange Quay heading to the city centre, get off 4 stops later at St. Peter's Square. It's about a 2 minute walk to Albert Square from there. That is probably the biggest single space for the Christmas markets, but there are loads more around the city, just have a wander!

Hope that helps.

Pete

Edited: 7:24 am, November 04, 2013
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Can't add anything to Pete's comprehensive info., except to say will you be able to check in to your hotel so early?, and here is a link to the markets - download it for a full guide, maps, suggested routes etc.

manchester.gov.uk/downloads/download/5525/ch…

On the last page it shows where St Peters Sq tram stop is in relation to everywhere else.

Edited: 8:49 am, November 04, 2013
Manchester
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

The main xmas market is Albert Square but they are dotted all over the city - you can go on a bit of a 'market crawl' very easily as they are all next to one another

Belfast
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Thanks for the info folks, much appreciated.

I have started printing maps and directions based on the info you guys have supplied.

In relation to the train/tram travel, can you link any good websites to help me plan this? A google search returns many different sites and it's proving difficult to determine the offical providers, as well as the overall best route to take.

Cheers

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Can't see why you are seeing many sites - tfgm.com/journey_planning/Pages/default.aspx

Belfast
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Thanks for the link.

Can I also ask, from local knowledge, is it cheaper to purchase rail tickets in advance or should I do this when I arrive at the station? The same question for the Tram also?

Cheers

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Train:

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

Tram (as above):

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

metrolink.co.uk/stationinfo/…Route_Map.pdf

metrolink.co.uk/stationinfo/…20Guide.pdf

The metrolink doesn't have a timetable as such, they just quote the times of the first and last ones and the expected frequency. The theory being that they are pretty frequent so no need to go for a particular one. Theory and practice are sometimes a bit different, but it usually works OK.

Train you're probably best getting it from the station.

Metrolink you MUST buy a ticket from the machine on the Metrolink platform. Returns are usually much cheaper than 2 singles, especially after 0930 (which may not apply to you on your first day).

Edited: 5:05 am, November 12, 2013
Belfast
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Thanks again for that steve.

I'm thinking that these are some of the options which I might use to travel from the airport to my hotel:

1.) Get the train from the airport to Picadilly station and then get the 'Altrincham' train, disembarking at Old Trafford.

2.) Train to Piccadilly, then tram to either Old Trafford or Exchange Square.

3.) Train to Piccadilly, walk to Market Street and get the 'Eccles' train, disembarking at Exchange Quay.

4.) Train to either Oxford Rail station or Deansgate Rail station then take the X50 bus to Old Trafford.

I have to say, the travel links in Manchester seem very impressive and well thought-out. At least to me they are, coming from my experiences in Belfast.

Is there a specific reason why i should mix train/tram as originally suggested, rather than switching trains as above? Presuming that what I have written above is accurate.

Cheers

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

It's worth noting, The #X50 express bus stops at the front of your hotel and The #250 bus stops around the corner from your hotel. Both buses leave from the same stop at Piccadilly Gardens bus station, in the city centre. They travel on to The Trafford Centre after passing your hotel.

A Stagecoach Dayrider ticket for all day use on those buses is £4.00.

tfgm.com/journey_planning/RouteMaps/250.pdf

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of questions on travel, pubs and christmas markets

Sorry, some of these aren't possible:

1.) Get the train from the airport to Picadilly station and then get the 'Altrincham' train, disembarking at Old Trafford.

No, there is a train line to Altrincham, but it doesn't go anywhere near Old Trafford. You need the tram (not the Metrolink) to your hotel. There is a train station at the back of the football stadium, but I think it's only operational on match days.

2.) Train to Piccadilly, then tram to either Old Trafford or Exchange Square.

Yes, either the Altrincham tram (to Old Trafford) or the Eccles/MediaCity tram (to Exchange Quay - not Square)

3.) Train to Piccadilly, walk to Market Street and get the 'Eccles' train, disembarking at Exchange Quay.

No, the Eccles mediacity tram doesn't stop at Market Street. It goes form Piccadilly station, same as the Altrincham one, downstairs from the main rail station.

The Eccles/MediaCity and Altrincham trams go from Piccadilly - Piccadilly Gardens - St. Peter's Square - Deansgate/Castlefield (formerly known as G-Mex in case you see an old map) - Cornbrook. After Cornbrook they split off on their respective routes.

4.) Train to either Oxford Rail station or Deansgate Rail station then take the X50 bus to Old Trafford

See irlgeo's comments above. I'm not familiar with the route of the X50, so can't comment, but it seems to me that if you want to avoid any walking, then get the tram to Piccadilly Gardens (you maybe able to get that included with your train fare) then get the bus from there.

Irlgeo, does the £4.00 day rider cover journeys before 0930?