We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
309 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

On my last night in the UK next August I booked at Bewleys. I will be arriving by train and most likely will be at the hotel early afternoon. The question is there any point spending a few hours in Manchester (train from airport return) and eating there or maybe taking a cab and eating at the Hale Tandoori mentioned in another post. Unless there is something to see around the Piccadily train station, it may not make sense asI have a walking disability so would not want to walk around more than 15 minutes or so. Then the next morning I guess I have to be at the airport 3 hrs before whicn makes it 9 am or so. Wonder if breakfast is any good at the airport or is it similar cost.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

Plenty of places to get breakfast at the airport and plenty of choice.

If I have an early flight, I go a bit earlier get checked in and have a leisurely breakfast.

If the cost of a taxi is not an issue then i would go to Hale.

There ere are plenty of good restaurants in Hale from Tapas, Italian and your Tandoori

It has a pleasant village feel, nice Main Street with very little walking needed as your taxi will be able to drop you off outside your chosen restaurant.. A more relaxing evening out imho

Edited: 2:34 am, October 30, 2013
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

Thanks I wondered how much the taxi would be. I also checked and found out the Piccadilly has a left luggage/

Anyway don't want to do too much the last day anyway.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,978 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

Comox - if by the Hale Tandoori you mean the Hale Barns Tandoori it is now closed, though they're hoping to re-open elsewhere:

http://www.halebarnstandoori.co.uk/

Left luggage at Piccadilly is currently £3.50/item for upto 3 hours; £7/item beyond that. That compares with the current £4.10 return from the Airport to Piccadilly on the train.

According to Bewley's website check-in is 2pm, but they will store luggage if you arrive earlier. On that basis and depending on where you're travelling from on that day, I'd get there as early as I could, leave the luggage & head back into Manchester. There's easily enough to occupy you for a few hours (City Art Gallery, Museum of Science & Industry, John Ryland's Library, Town Hall & much more apart from shops) and you could then have a much wider choice of dining before heading back to Bewleys.

My guess for a taxi from Bewleys to Hale would be around £8 to £10 each way.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

Thanks so much for reading the menu. I guess you are right I will check in and leave bags there and head back.

5. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:44 pm, October 30, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

I also vote for getting a return train into Manchester. Airports are boring and only have uninspired food choices from chain bars. China town is less than 15 minutes walk from the train station and there also the Northern Quarter which the train station is on the edge of. What kind of food do you like?

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

Thanks Mark and yes Idid see mention of Chinatown and heard there were some good Thai restaurants there.

That may be my best bet.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

I too would recommend visiting Manchester centre.

To avoid walking too far, note that there are metroshuttle buses that cover 3 routes around the city centre, until 6pm or 7pm - and they are FREE. Handy even if you are only going one stop - or stay on for a full circuit to see more of Manchester. The official website for a downloadable map of the routes and further information is: www.tfgm.com/buses/Pages/metroshuttle.aspx

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

thanks like the free part.

10. Re: Manchester airport hotel stay - eating there or in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 23, 2014