We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

What are the main differences? I love to shop, and the Trafford Center looks beautiful and a great place to shop. Is that the case or is it just a big box mall in a nice package? Is it worth it to take some time to go, I am only in the city for two days.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

Trafford Centre is better than the Arndale

Yes it is a mall but its all under one roof, plus there are plenty of restaurants, entertainment and even skiing nearby.

You will be out of the weather.

But there is more to Manchester City centre than the Arndale, plenty of smaller independent shops about rather than the main chain stores that you get in malls .

Harvey Nicholls is in Manchester City Centre and at the other extreme is Pimark

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1020874…

I suppose it will depend on where you are staying too

Edited: 2:14 am, October 30, 2013
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

There is a huge difference between the two - Trafford Centre is one of the largest and best (perhaps even the best) shopping malls in the UK - and is so much more than simply 'shops'. Trafford Centre stays open through evenings until very late for its shops, cinemas, restaurants and other activities. Arndale is very poor in comparison, certainly nowhere near the same 'league' as Trafford Centre.

However Manchester city centre (of which Arndale is just a part) does have some interesting, and different,. shops not far from Arndale itself - such as Harvey Nichols, various designer shops, King Street and Northern Quarter.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

I dislike the Trafford Centre. But then I generally dislike shopping malls. Manchester city centre is a much better place to shop in my opinion. As mentioned above, the Arndale is just a part of the shopping available.

You'll also have a much better choice of food and drink outlets in the city centre.

That said, if the weather is bad then the TC comes into its own. Also, if you're not familiar with the city centre the TC is obviously much easier to navigate (personally one of the joys of a new city is wandering around streets that are unfamiliar).

Your choice, but if you're in the TC you could just be in any mall anywhere in the world and as they are pretty much designed based on what I guess is something that originated in the US.....

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

How far is the Trafford Center from Picadilly Station using public trans? I might go just for a couple hours to check it out.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

I also prefer the city centre shops, but The Trafford Centre is well worth a visit.

visitmanchester.com/what-to-do/shopshoppingc…

The Trafford Centre is 4 to 5 miles from Piccadilly. You could catch an Altrincham tram from the station to Stretford and then a shuttle bus would take you to The Trafford Centre. A combined ticket would cover the tram and bus fare.

It's easier to take the 5 minute walk to Piccadilly bus station and catch The # X50 express bus, a £4.00 daysaver ticket, purchased from the bus driver, would cover your fares. The # 250 bus leaves from the same stop in the bus station, that bus takes a few minutes more to reach The Trafford Centre. Both buses stop at Old Trafford football stadium and The #X50 also stops at The Imperial War Museum en route to The Trafford Centre. The buses are very frequent, so take your pick.

Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

The Trafford Centre is a massive mall, clean, busy and dreary, which is fine but that's all it is, with a few sports facilities outside the main centre. The Arndale is 1 smaller centre but with the rest of Manchester outside as well. If all you want is specific shops the Trafford centre is more convenient, if you actually want an enjoyable experience, choose Manchester city centre inc. The Arndale

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

You will ,we have visited almost exactly the same type of Malls in the USA,no difference apart from Trafford Centre is free parking ,the Arndale your in the city centre with more options.

My missus hates both of the equally.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

I vote Arndale/Manchester City Centre! Not only are there some fab shops you have the history of the city too. Where as at the Trafford Centre, although it is a good shopping mall, you really could be anywhere.

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

Trafford Centre is only really worth a visit if you wanted to combine visits to Salford Quays etc. In the Trafford Centre you just get all the usual chain stores.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trafford Center Vs Arndale?

Yes Trafford is prettier but the shops are mainly smaller. Arndale have the the main high street shops on a much bigger scale.