We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester to London

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Manchester to London

I will be travelling from Manchester to London on 27th August. I will like to travel via train.

Is Virgin Train the only train option? Is booking in advance cheaper? If I were to book in advance, do I have the option to print out my ticket? Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,888 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester to London

Virgin Trains are the operating company for the journey from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston. East Midlands Trains operate from Manchester Oxford Road to London St Pancras, with a change at East Midlands Parkway. I would take the direct route from Manchester Piccadilly, but which you choose may depend on your start point in Manchester.

Advance tickets are fairly restricted in that you must travel on the specific train booked, but fares at £65 - 70 are considerably cheaper than Anytime singles for £155.

Virgin offers e-ticket print at home, but ticket collection at stations is simple, taking a minute or two. You will need the credit card used for booking and the confirmation code provided when you book.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester to London

I'd travel with Virgin, it's more direct and much faster. Booking in advance is definitely cheaper. If you buy the "travel at any time, on any train" ticket, the one-way fare is £150+; if you travel late morning, and buy an advance (& non-refundable, non-changeable) ticket for a specific train (which is perfectly fine if your travel plans are fixed), the fare can be as low as £26 one-way. And yes, there's a print at home (eTicket) option... take a look at www.virgintrains.co.uk, you can see fares and schedules there

London
Level Contributor
10,788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester to London

"Advance tickets are fairly restricted in that you must travel on the specific train booked, but fares at £65 - 70 are considerably cheaper than Anytime singles for £155."

I would not recommend an "advance" ticket at £65. That restricts you to one train. The off peak single is only a few pounds more at £76, but can be bought on the day (so no need to be tied to one departure) and be used on any train outside rush hours. If the "advance fare" is £40 or less then the loss of flexibility is worth it for the saving. If you are returning, the off peak return is only £1 more than the single.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester to London

An advance ticket between Manchester and London usuallystarts at £18.50. That is a big saving over any other fare

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester to London

thank you all for your advice!! I am looking to take the train that departs from Manchester Piccadilly at around 10 or 11.. advance tickets are priced at £34 compared to off peak (£76.30). Hence I will most probably book the advance ticket..

Another question... any comments about the first class trains? Is it worth the extra £17?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester to London

Main difference between first and standard class is space. Standard class has less leg room (but what you get is perfectly adequate), and there are 2 seats on either side of the centre aisle. First class has two seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other - so if you're wide of seat, you may be more comfortable upgrading. And there are more rows of seats in a standard carriage than in 1st. I believe there is also a complimentary "snack and drink" served in 1st, content varies according to time of day. For my money, what you get doesn't add up to £17pp. It sounds like you'll be travelling in the middle of the day, and in the UK school holidays - the train will be quiet, so even if you book an Advance ticket in Standard, and end up sat next to someone and feel hemmed in (all Advance tickets come with a mandatory seat reservation), you can always spread out once the train has set off. My bet is there'll be loads of empty and unreserved seats in standard. But if you feel like a bit of pampering, and the £17 isn't an issue, upgrading to will feel make the journey just a little but more special..

London
Level Contributor
10,788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester to London

First class on Virgin trains. If its a weekday, for that time of departure, you will get light snack and drinks (including alcoholic drinks) served at your seat. The 1100 departure might even get lunch, there is info on the Virgin train web about what food is offered on which service. At a weekend just a snack and no alcohol.

Personally, I would pay £17 extra for that.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester to London

I always advance book my train tickets when going to London. I get two return tickets for £58 ... that's in total, not £58 per person.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester to London

thank you all for your kind advice. I shall book my tickets in advance =)

10. Re: Manchester to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014