We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

Hi everyone, I am attending an event at the MEN arena in September. The hotel availability is already scarce for the night, Manchester United play at home on the same day I believe. I can get a nice hotel out at the airport for £40 through my work.

My question is, is it worth my while staying at this hotel or should I just suck it up and pay the £150 odd for a Travelodge in the centre? The event will finish around about midnight I guess and we may have a couple of drinks in the centre after the event. For info we will be arriving into Manchester by train, although I have started looking at the possibility of flights. However the times don't seem to work.

Thanks

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

It sounds like a massive saving by staying at the airport hotel. The airport has a train station and the arena is right at Victoria station virtually so so long as trains are available I would go for the cost efficient option myself!

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

You haven't told us which of the airport hotels you're considering. Some of the hotels at the airport are some distance from the rail station.

The Hilton, The Crowne Plaza, Bewleys and The Radisson Blu are all very close to the bus and rail interchange, if you mean one of them, you would have little trouble getting to the city centre and back.

There are trains every few minutes for the 20 minute journey to Manchester Piccadilly Station. A Bury tram would take you the short ride from Piccadilly Station to Victoria Station, the arena is situated over Victoria Station. Travelling before 1830 hrs, an off-peak return ticket would cost £4.10, or £2.05 after 1830 hrs. The rail ticket would include your tram fare in the city centre.

The last train back to the airport is at 0046 hrs from Piccadilly Station, There's also an all night bus service to the airport from Piccadilly Gardens. The #43 runs every 30 minutes and takes about 45 minutes to reach the airport.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

It sounds like a massive saving by staying at the airport hotel. The airport has a train station and the arena is right at Victoria station virtually so so long as trains are available I would go for the cost efficient option myself!

Sorry don't know why this has appeared twice!

Edited: 3:48 pm, July 22, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

Many thanks for your replies folks. It is the Radisson Blu that I would be staying at and indeed seems like the best option. We've looked at other hotels and it's even £100 odd for some quite crummy looking hotels that are quite a way from the centre.

A saving of somewhere around £100 for a couple of train journeys is certainly worth it.

Thanks again.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

The Radisson Blu would be ideal, it's situated a few minutes walk from the rail station. You wouldn't have to leave the airport to get to the station, the hotel is connected to the station via The Skylink. The Skylink is a covered walkway with travelators.

http://tinyurl.com/l2hdh46

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

Thanks again Irlgeo. Now just trying to decide whether to get the train £40-£50 return depending on times, or fly for £60 odd return. I stay within 5 minutes walk of the train station in Edinburgh so it's probably just as quick to take the train by the time I factor in a half hour journey to Edinburgh airport and getting through security etc. However flying would make it really convinient for the hotel in Manchester. Decisions!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

Ignore that actually. Just did a bit more digging on the trains and both the train we would get down to Manchester and the train back also go to/come from the airport. Decision made.

Thanks a million.

8. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:27 pm, January 22, 2015
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

Cheers but it's sold out the night i'm in Manchester.

10. Re: Airport hotels - Easy access to city centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 25, 2014