We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Litter

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Derby
Level Contributor
463 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Litter

Just come back from a couple of days in Manchester and was appalled by the state of the streets. Litter everywhere. Is it always this bad?

It really didn't give a very good impression of an otherwise vibrant and interesting city.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Litter

Yeah, there is a terrible litter problem here.

As someone who has lived in the city centre for over 10 years I have seen the problem steadily escalate then ramp up considerably during the wave of council cuts a year or so ago.

Worst times are Saturdays and Sundays (after people being out Friday and Saturday nights). Weekend is obviously the time most people most come to visit. It can get embarrassing.

Though there are plenty of lazy people who just throw their rubbish on the floor I can't believe that people here are so much worse than other UK cities, I wish something would get done about it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Litter

i have lived here for 1 year now and the litter problem is absolutely disgusting. This is the worst city I have ever seen for litter. But the staining on the pavements is what sticks out when I walk to work every day. In the last year I have not once seen anyone jet washing the pavements. Along High street is especially bad.

I regularly see people dropping litter. There just seems to be no civic pride at all here.

This city does have a lot going for it but the dirt just makes the place look rough and feel intimidating.

I have written to Lucy Powell (local MP) about this matter several times. She hasn't bothered to reply.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Litter

We are in Athens at the moment,you are talking euro champs for litter.Tbf I havnt noticed that Manchester is that bad,but like me it takes a visitor to notice,so come on Manchester don't let the side down on an issue that is easily remedied.

Edited: 7:08 am, July 22, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Litter

You are right. It is a real turn off for the visitors.

Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Derby
Level Contributor
463 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Litter

I have to say that the bulk of the blame lies with lazy and feckless members of the public who fail to use bins and have no sense of responsibility and plainly don't give a monkey's about chucking litter on the floor.

Having said that, if more bins were provided and were subsequently emptied more regularly that might help with some of the problem.

It's not solely a problem in Manchester I guess. My home city can be equally bad on occasions.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Litter

What the hell is up with folk,we have just left what is considered to be the 'Knightsbridge ' of Athens and you would not believe the litter,and yes I agree it's almost as bad here!

I am afraid I would be thinking about imposing a tax on outlets such as take aways to cover the cost of increased litter provisions and collections.Also flyers etc etc should have to be stringently approved or organised.

Finally is there enough done in schools to educate the moron who throws their McDonalds box over their shoulder.

A big problem world wide.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Litter

Litter is disgusting and down to outright laziness (obviously it's not a problem unique to Manchester), if I see someone littering I pick their litter up and say to them "Excuse me you've dropped this" sometimes they take it off me and throw it in a bin and sometimes I get abuse and the litter is thrown back on the floor. It's common sense and good manners to have regard for the place you are living in or visiting. Foodcourts and fastfood outlets seem to get the blame, but they have ample bins within their premises. I suppose what I'm saying is there's no excuse!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Litter

The poster talking about Athens did not stay at the "Knightsbridge of Athens " but rather at the Soho of Athens

. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exarcheia .

Hotel he stayed

. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d116029… .

and rather than acknowledging his error of judgment

he trashes the whole Athens every time showing his ilk

As we always say nice areas to stay are around Syntagma,Acropolis , Thission.

There is no litter there or at least in the mornings except weekends

Non tourist areas have various problems and lead visitors ,

as confirmed , to creat a distorted view of the whole

Athens based on their real or perceived danger from these areas.

One final point.In Athens at many point there are tags on the walls.

They don't mean anything.

For the moment at least we have no gangs and these are just signatures

Edited: 6:26 am, August 18, 2013
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Litter

Well. . . Soho is better than the area the poster talking about Athens picked to stay.

It is beyond any logical explanation why people pick a not nice area to stay, decide themselves it should be a good one, and then go around trashing a destination.

Knightsbridge of Athens :)

lol

You should pick another area; or spend a little bit more.

Edited: 5:06 pm, August 18, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Litter

With respect to fellow TA Athenians,I may have not made our Athens itinerary totally clear,we stayed 2 nights in the Aereos hotel,which is close to the Victoria subway station .A perfectly good hotel ,excellent staff,great room ,clean ,good breakfast ,good location geographically ,excellent price .

The one problem was the area ,a place I would not recommend even to the experience traveller,for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

After a fantastic trip to Spetses we returned to Athens,when we stayed in Gylfada for 3 nights,excuse my inaccurate analogy of Gylfada,suffice to say it was described in some articles to some of the very ,Very,affluent areas of London.err sorry nowhere near.

It was this area, Gylfada , we observed some streets strewn with litter ,broken pavements,horrible promenade ,which has seen much much better days .Although we felt much safer than we did in the city.The best thing was our fantastic apartment we stayed in and the punctual and extremely cheap bus service to he airport.

Our overall experience of Athens was as poor as any we have experienced in the big city's of European ugly,unsafe, full of graffiti ,and forgive me,fairly little to see, I now understand why it was the last of the great city's of Europe we have visited.

Spetses however was wonderful,the place ,the food,the people,and comes very highly recommended by us.

I understand TA is a place where travellers come and go reflecting their experience ,we have nothing against Athens ,why should we ? I am sure there are some wonderful places to visit ,mix,drink eat and see,but we didn't on our 6 day visit.

Good luck Athens ,I think your going to need it.

Edited: 5:06 am, August 20, 2013