We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Manchester......

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Manchester......

Could anyone tell us where the best shopping venues are in Manchester? I have looked on the websites and the Trafford Centre is the main one that keep pooping up! any info on this and any onther venues would be greatly appreciates as we are coming up to Manchester for a weekend of shopping!!

We will be staying at the Edwardian Raddison, does anyone know how far it is from the Trafford Centre?

And last but not least ....are there any good Caribbean places to eat in Manchester?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

Avoid the Trafford Centre - it's horrible!!!!

Stay in the city centre - look up the addresses for Selfridges and Harvey Nichols and you'll find the area to be in. It's the area around the top of Deansgates, St Ann Square and the top of Corporation Street are the area to be in.

It's all within walking distance of your hotel.

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

Hi - the shops in Manchester city centre are far better than the ones at the Trafford Centre! Your hotel is in an excellent location - you're about 5 mins walk to where the main shops are.

Best shops are on Deansgate, King Street, St Ann's Square, Shambles and Triangle (where Harvey Nicks and Selfridge are as well as M&S). There's also the Market Street and the Arndale which mainly consists of the usual high street shops such as HMV, Boots, etc.

Unfortunately I don't know where any good Caribbean places are but I am sure someone will help you on this forum.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

Agree with the above...the shops in the Trafford Centre are smaller and less varied than the city centre (apart from John Lewis, but then there's a bigger one in Cheadle).

If you're desperate to go, you can get a tram to Stretford and then a bus or a taxi from your hotel would probably be about £10.00.

Caribbean food...there's Vernon's in Rusholme, a few cafes in Moss Side, Hulme and Old Trafford, Afro-Caribbean place on Deansgate and that's it.

Vernon's opened with a bit of publicity a few years ago because he's (apparently) some fanous chef from New York but it got a dreadful review in the Observer so I've never been. Plus, it's in Rusholme and I associate that with good curry!

The cafes in Hulme and Moss SIde can be great food but not exactly 'posh'. If this is what you're after, let me know and I'll give you some specific directions.

The Afro-Carib place is very close to your hotel. I quite enjoyed it but it's never very busy. There's a great Spanish restaurant opposite (Evisu) and a Greek place that's OK (and used to be brilliant but has gone a bit downhill when it got very famous/popular) next door (D'mitri's)...so if you went there and didn't like the look of it, you've got a few options.

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

Thanks everyone thats answered so far, I appreciate it!

UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

Hiya,

I'm a Personal Shopper in Manchester and can honestly say if you want to appreciate the architecture and atmosphere Manchester has to pffer then go to the city centre! If you are just interested in shopping then the Trafford Centre will be OK for you as everything is under one roof and if its raining you are laughing! You have all your usual high st stores and restaurants whereas Manchester can give you the flavour of what we love and you will also be able to find some designer boutiques hidden away!

Regards hotels, I work quite closely with the Radisson - you will love it - make sure you use the spa! You never know, you may just see me there!

manchester england
Level Contributor
691 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

cheshire cat

the tc is not horrible

is a ideal place if anyone can not walk around town

is a ideal place for yougsters to be safe shoppong and feeling grown up

is a ideal place when the weathers bad

is a ideal place for all ages to go to as lots of stops and comfortable surroundings

the tc is for all people

yes the shops are a muchness but sometimes jsut pottering around with someone whos over 80 wiht lots of stops for tea and dry is good

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

NFMAC...Thanks for your help!

I am not after any particular posh Caribbean Food!!!!!!!!!

I live in Bristol and some of the Jamaican Cafes sell the best food I have ever tasted...huge portions to take out and for only £5 Can't go wrong!!!

I would appreciate any directions as coming from out of town we don't have a clue where any thing is!!

Thanks!

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

Hi,

I have to agree that the TC is naff!

My kids hate it - it's too hot, the shoppings rubbish especially for childrens clothes and it's heaving most of the time. A bit of a wasted opportunity I feel, they could have attracted some fantastic retailers if they'd tried rather than yet another branch of the Disney store and Top Shop etc - boring.

When we want to go clothes shopping we head to Leeds, Chester or Belfast.

Andi x

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

I've always found that the TC is too crowded - there don't seem to enough floorspace when walking outside the shops especially if you're on the upper level. In terms of shopping malls Bluewater in London/Kent is one of the best - less crowded for one thing and better, bigger shops. I've always prefer shopping in Manchester especially at this time of the year! Plenty of bars/coffee shops to sit outside when having a break from retail therapy.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Manchester......

For me it depends what I actually want to do...

If I am actually after some decent shopping, then I will head for the city centre - biggest reason for this is fresh air, closely followed by Primark.

If I am just looking for somewhere to potter around aimlessly and it is past 6pm, then I will head to Trafford. They really need to sort the aircon out there though because I find after half an hour in there breathing recycled air, I get a little nauseous and just want to go home!

If you are looking for something more traditional, Bury Market is a great place to venture out to. It takes 20 minutes on a tram (unlimited day ticket is £3.20) and you have a great local shopping centre as well as the best market in Europe (so it claims). Great food too - get a fresh roast sandwich from Bennetts or anything from Katsouris.