We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
778 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
SIM card

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes....

I have a friend that will be arriving in the Manchester area at the beginning of February and was wondering:

1. Would she be able to purchase a prepaid sim card for her phone that would allow her to phone Australia?

2. If yes, any suggestions as to which company or provider might be best for this?

She will be there for approximately a week and wants to keep in touch with her Fiance while there.

Is there a better method?

Thanks for any and all helpful suggestions!

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM card

Yes, there are lots of prepaid sim cards you can buy. O2, Vodafone, Orange Talktalk, Talkmobile, Tesco etc. They start from 10 pounds topup. I can't comment on which is better. But I know there are several places you can buy from. They include the big supermarkets like Sainsbury and Tesco. Or you can walk into Carephone Warehouse and buy sim cards there too. It's an independent mobile phone company that allows you to buy pay as you go phones without tying you to any contracts.

Skype on your computer tends to be the cheaper way as it's free. You can download the software.

Edited: 10:44 pm, January 19, 2013
Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
778 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM card

Thanks for the quick reply.

I doubt she is taking a computer with her. I will advise her of the options that you have suggested.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM card

I would like to recommend you some of the good Sim card providers of UK such as Lebara, Prepaymania, Phones 4U, Vodafone, O2. I'm not telling that other providers are not good enough but when i went to UK, i have bought new local sim to use in UK with minimum data and calling rates from Prepaymania in 1£. and Yes this card allows to call to many countries including Australia. With simply ordering your sim online these providers will give even free delivery at your hotel or at the place you need!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM card

George, why did you wake up a 7 month old post? Which if you'd read it, would see the person in need has been and gone months ago?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM card

Oh yes joeintheuk... Thanks to inform.. You're right.. I thought the topic is still running.. but got now that it is already over.. Well will take care about next one!

6. Re: SIM card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2014