We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant / Bar near to Apollo or Travelodge Upper Brook St

manchester
Level Contributor
237 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant / Bar near to Apollo or Travelodge Upper Brook St

We are coming to Manchester for a gig at the end of Jan. We are staying at the Travelodge on Upper Brook St and the gig is at the 02 Apollo. Its a friday night so by the time we have finished work and arrived it will probably be about 6-6.30ish. This will prob give us a couple of hours to grab something to eat before heading to the gig.

In this time we want to have something to eat and a couple of drinks. Don't want a posh dinner or anything fancy but equally we don't want a takeaway either! Last time we went to a gig at the Apollo we walked down towards Piccadilly and as we were rushed we went to Bella Italia and to be frank it was a bit pants! Can anyone reccomend anywhere for food and a few drinks near to either the hotel or the Apollo?

I did consider heading in to town to Alibi for a pizza and drinks but this is going into town to come back out but do you think this may be the best option? We are also wanting to go for a drink after the gig but not sure if to go towards oxford road or to head to the northern quarter. (We are a couple in our mid 30's if this makes any difference at all?!)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant / Bar near to Apollo or Travelodge Upper Brook St

There are a few bars within a 10 minute walk of the Travelodge.

Also the curry mile is only about 10 minutes walk away.

Pubs:

The Oxford, on the corner of Grafton St and Oxford Rd

Ford Madox Brown (Wetherspoons) on Oxford Rd opposite Whitworth Park (at the beginning of the curry mile)

Jabez Clegg, on a little side street between Upper Brook St and Oxfprd Rd near the university.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant / Bar near to Apollo or Travelodge Upper Brook St

I'd agree that the curry mile is a good option for food before the gig. I'd particularly recommend Mughli which has amazing food but is pretty cheap (and the drinks are cheap too. There is a really good bar called Big Hands heading back down Oxford road towards where you turn off for the Apollo which is a big pre-gig favourite.

Another option for a bite to eat and some drinks before the gig would be The Deaf Institute (Trof). They do decent food and there is another good bar called Sand Bar right across the road.

I'd recommend any of these places for after the gig too and it saves you trekking over to the northern quarter and back.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant / Bar near to Apollo or Travelodge Upper Brook St

Yeah, some good calls from Andy there.

Big hands is just across the road from the Oxford, prettysmall frontage but bigger than it looks and they sometimes have live music, and the Deaf Institute is on Grosvenor St.

manchester
Level Contributor
237 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant / Bar near to Apollo or Travelodge Upper Brook St

Thanks for your help guys. I think we will see what time we get there and if we have enough time we might head to Mughli. We only love about 45mins away but as we will be leaving at 4.30pm we may hit traffic on the way in. We will come in via the other side of the city though prestwich and bury new road as that's the way the bus goes! We might come in the car though as I believe there is a decent car park near the travelodge and might work out cheaper than taking the bus anyway! This should give us more time with any luck.

But at least we know there is the oxford and ford madox brown now though too should we be pushed for time.

I think we may have been to the Oxford before now I think about it as we have been to a few gigs at the academy on oxford road but we stayed in town that time and just nipped in there after the gig for a quick drink.

Thank you for your help.

5. Re: Restaurant / Bar near to Apollo or Travelodge Upper Brook St

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 15, 2014