We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

Charging arriving passengers at Manchester International Airport is a disgusting rout and made even worse by the absolutely unhelpful staff who quite frankly couldn't care wether arriving international tourists have £4 in change.

I have arrived at many international airports and never been charged for trolleys.

Understand that airports and contractors need to make money from this service, but apply that to the domestic passengers as most other airports do.

Not a good first impression guys.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

I agree 100%, but I thought they were 'only' £1?? I'm afraid this is a money-making scheme which I believe is to be found in several UK airports now.

At Manchester they also force anyone picking passengers up to pay £2.50, another rip-off in my view.

Edited: 11:59 am, January 02, 2013
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,469 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

They were "only" £1 last time I passed through Manchester - that was bad enough! Well - they have lost anything from me because I would sooner crawl on the floor pushing my bag than pay even a penny!! Another inducement to pack light!

Agree the charge for the taxi/friend picking you up is also daylight robbery! I had to meet a friend a few weeks ago & although that charge allows you to hang around for 30 minutes I was not taking the risk of her plane/arrival being delayed & going over the time. It was easier for her to catch the express bus to Stockport (£2.50) & I met her off the bus.

Coming from Surfers Paradise I would imagine the current UK weather is also a kick in the teeth!! But welcome Colin! Hope you find something good here.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

I arrived at Manchester Airport this morning having passed through two airports in New Zealand and then Singapore. I had fortunately remembered to keep a pound coin in my bag ready for the Manchester trolley charge. However, felt so embarrassed, yet again, when others on the flight didn't know of this ridiculous charge not having had the pleasure of landing at Manchester before. There were two staff close by who I felt could have been much more helpful. The system seemed so complicated - watching for green lights flashing. Who wants this after a long haul flight - or any other flight for that matter.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

And that implies that you will have luggage to put on them

Buy luggage with wheels.

Four flights arrived at once at an international airport and caused a backlog

Did they just turn up unannounced?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2339377/Police-…

Not the first time either ime

5. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, January 03, 2014
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

<<I have arrived at many international airports and never been charged for trolleys.>>

I thought most US airports charge?? I think they do take CCs though if you don't have enough quarters....

Crewe, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

I flew from manchester on Jan 4th 2014 loaded down with cases, skis and ski boots as well as our hand luggage. We picked up a couple of trolleys in the car park for free. On return a week later we went to get a trolley and couldn't believe they were charging. This is just another cynical levy on the traveller up there with: speedy boarding, priority lines at security, security immediately after check in so you have to buy their drinks, enforced walks through duty free shops, £1 for two 1p plastic bags...

I for one am getting sick of it all but what choice do we have.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

If you've got a longish distance to walk with luggage (e.g. to the railway station), rather than pay for a trolley in the baggage collection area you could clear customs then someone wait with the luggage whilst another goes to find a free trolley from around the departure area. I agree it's unfair charging people for trolleys when some are available for free within the airport complex, such as the railway station.

Re the £1 charge for plastic bags (for liquids), I have always been given a bag for free by one of the security staff.

Tip: avoid high charges for water in Departures by taking an empty water-bottle in your hand-luggage. In Terminal 1, just after clearing security scanners, there is a water-fountain on the left-hand side of the walkway to duty free (just after steps/slope down) - fill your water-bottle there :-) . I don't know whether it's the same in other terminals.

chester
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

This trolley charging is illogical. Why would you return to a collection point? I just pass mine on to the next passenger. If everyone does this the charging will be redundant in no time.

Edited: 7:07 pm, November 07, 2014
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage trolleys @ Manchester International Airport Arrivals

I have found many international airports who do charge for trolleys. We have a plastic 2CHF token for use in Swiss airports on arrival for example, bought when we came in without swiss change.

Manchester Airport does seem to have a staff culture that passengers are a target for abuse though.