We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancs UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Chinatown

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese in China town with the emphasis on " traditional "----both surroundings and menu and not modern.

UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown

I's say the 'Little Yang Sing' is a good starting point. It is the sister of the 'Yang Sing' restaurant and both are in ChinaTown....

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown

Yang Sing has the reputation as one of the best chinese restaurant around. I've been a few times and enjoyed it!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown

The New Emperor would get my vote. It's on George Street - opposite the Little Yang Sing - and has been consistently superb over the ten years I've been going.

The decor's reasonably traditional, I guess, as is the food. A large Chinese clientele, if that makes any difference and a Chinese (actually Malaysian, but ethnic Chinese) work colleague I took there once said it was one of the best meals he'd had outside of Asia.

It's particualrly busy on Sunday lunches.

It's not the cheapest in Chinatown but worth the money.

Little Yang Sing is good as is the Yang Sing itself.

The main Yang Sing's very big and, apparently, has just been done up in a Shanghai style. The menu has everything on it that you would expect but the waiters also do this thing where they ask you a few questions and then they'll bring you what the chef thinks you'll like. This is less 'tradiitonal' I guess from what you're after as you can end up with things like ostrich or whitebait...and, whenever I've been, it's been great. Can be very expensive though.

You could also try the Red Chilli...now they do traditional in a different way. Here they have a normal 'sweet and sour' menu and also a 'weird' menu that they only give to Chinese customers unless asked for. This is where things like Chinese tripe, black pudding (just congealed blood), drunken beef, etc are served. Might be a good idea if you're very adventurous.

Other than that, Cafe Fu (I think) is pretty good but has a modernish decor. Cheap(ish) and good during the day.

Pearl City, Woo Sang and the New Hong Kong have been decent on the occassions I've been but I'd still rate the New Emperor above them.

Finally, there are a couple of new-ish places, Pacific and Pan-Asia. Both are good but they deliberatly go for the modern look so you may not fancy them.

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown

Thanks a million to all of you for your replies!We are going next Saturday 6th so I will report back !!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown

I'd second NFMac on New Emperor being the best of the more 'traditional' Chinese restaurants in Chinatown. It's also one of the most popular among the local Chinese community if that's anything to go by.

Yang Sing likes to see itself as the 'upper class' - therefore prices are a tad higher than everyone else's, but you can expect better service and more attention from the staff. The Pacific is also in this league, geared towards the business customers.

If you don't mind venturing a little way away from Chinatown, my own favourite haunt is the Glamorous on Oldham Road. It has free parking, so it's handy if you're driving and it's by far the most spacious restaurant in Manchester with some very friendly staff. Also there is the Tai Wu on Oxford Road, which has a really nice bar area and does great food at good value.

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown

we will be travelling by train---which is the nearest station to chinatown---Victoria or Piccadilly?

London, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinatown

Piccadilly station is the nearest to China town, go down the station approach towards the city, turn left just before Picadilly gardens and Chinatown is just ahead of you.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinatown

Piccadilly and Victoria are about the same distance from Chinatown - 5-10 minutes walk.

The number 1 free shuttlebus connects Picadilly to Chinatown and then onto Marks and Spencers, which is 2 minutes walk away from Victoria.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinatown

I'd say Piccadilly was a bit closer to Chinatown than Victoria. But...both are pretty close so you won't struggle whichever one your train takes you into.

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinatown

thanks for the info.I think we will opt for Piccadilly---it seems more convienient than Victoria for us.Is it safe walking around the area at night?