We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in altrincham

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in altrincham

Hi all,

I'm off to altrincham now and staying til Sunday... I am after thoughts on whether Altrincham has a decent nightlife scene!? Wanting a nice meal tonight n couple bars and a proper night out tomorrow- 5 or 6 good bars maybe then a club... Can anyone advise? If altrincham isn't great for that can you let me know, with some alternative ideas? Thanks.

Ps we like cocktail type lively bars

Claire

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in altrincham

I think you'd be better off getting the tram into Manchester. If you get off at Deansgate-Castlefield, there are loads of bars all next door to each other on Whitworth St. West, or if you stay on till Piccadilly Gardens you are within striking distance of the gay village and Northern Quarter.

The last tram back from Manchester on a Saturday is about 1245 I think. Fare is about £4 for a day return from Alty. Taxi back from Manchester would be about £20-£25.

Altrincham town centre is now pretty quiet, though I did notice that a new bar was opening on the corener of The Downs and Stamford New Rd a couple of weeks ago. There are plenty of pubs, but not much in the way of lively bars and clubs.

If you don't want to go into Manchester, you could get the tram to Sale, about 3 miles away. Within 100m of the tram stop at Sale there are several bars open late, including a Slug & Lettuce which has either DJ or live band on a Saturday (& 2 for 1 cocktails), the King's Ransom which is open until 2 or 3am on Saturday night and is very lively, the Waterside bar in the piazza near Sale theatre and library, a Lloyd's bar Wetherspoons (J P Joule) which has music, and the Steamhouse bar on the corner, reputed to have more than 100 beers, and live entertainment 4 nights a week. There are also a series of restaurants including Chinese, Indian, Greek and Thai in the area as well. Type in Sale station on google earth and most of the places are listed on there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in altrincham

Hi,

Tonight - head to Hale, just a few quid in cab, quite a few bars, pubs and restaurants - The Hale Grill is a good bar and restaurant. As it's Friday night though you might struggle to get a table for food at any decent place.

Saturday head into Manchester city centre - tram or taxi. 100s of bars and restaurants to choose from.

Jamie's Italian (I don't personally rate it) and Le Relais de Venise don't 'do' bookings, so they are options to eat (may have to wait a bit for a table) http://www.relaisdevenise.com/manchester/ - note: no menu choice for starter or mains - green salad and steak frites (good dessert choice though) - I think it's brilliant, but it divides opinion.

Other good restaurants (worth trying to book at table) and bars:

63 Degrees

Browns (bar as well - good cocktails)

Room (bar as well - good cocktails)

Australasia (bar as well - good cocktails)

Dukes92 bar and grill

The Wharf

Grill on New York Street (bar as well - good cocktails)

Grill on the Alley (bar as well - good cocktails)

The Alchemist - Spinningfields and New York Street (bars as well - good cocktails)

Gorilla

Northern Quarter generally - lots of good bars.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in altrincham

Lots to do in Altrincham

Big big restaurant scene - in fact you could eat your way around the world there are so many

Phanthong, La Rioja and Coco's are all on Regent Rd right in centre

In terms of bars there are plenty of bars in

* Goose Green (House, Costello)

* 3 Belgian Bars

* Bloom Live and L'Amour (Cocktails bars)

Loads more though as well as Im sure people will suggest

Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in altrincham

For you're big night out you'll probably want Manchester as Altrincham isn't really a club place.

However, food and bars are easily found. House in Goose Green does nice food and has a bar next door. Next door to that is the Green Room which has great drinks and good live music.

The new Bloom bar on Stamford new road has had good reviews.... Food and live music.

And for a fabulous collection of cocktails try Classroom.

Don't be fooled into thinking Altrincham has nothing to offer. I've had some amazing nights out.

Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in altrincham

For you're big night out you'll probably want Manchester as Altrincham isn't really a club place.

However, food and bars are easily found. House in Goose Green does nice food and has a bar next door. Next door to that is the Green Room which has great drinks and good live music.

The new Bloom bar on Stamford new road has had good reviews.... Food and live music.

And for a fabulous collection of cocktails try Classroom.

Don't be fooled into thinking Altrincham has nothing to offer. I've had some amazing nights out.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in altrincham

Yes, I agree Altrincham scores quite well on the restaurant front, but for a <<proper night out 5 or 6 bars maybe then a club>> I don't think it can compete.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in altrincham

Thanks everyone, today we've been to the Victoria for lunch which was really nice then slug and lettuce...we walked through hale on way back to hotel and there looks like there are a few good options there tonight...still undecided about tomorrow- may head in to Manchester then or Sale! Any more advice please keep it coming, will take the list of above options out tonight and have a look about, x

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in altrincham

Enjoy!!

9. Re: Staying in altrincham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 14, 2013