We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Manchester to Stratford-upon-Avon this Monday

California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Manchester to Stratford-upon-Avon this Monday

After going to the Man U v Arsenal game on sunday, we are heading to Stratford-upon-Avon on Monday. I was all set to take the train, but I see that I will have to change stations in Birmingham - we have a lot of luggage and only 30 minutes to get our bags and get to the other train station. Will this work? Are the bags checked similar to on the airlines with a wait to collect them? I see on the map that the stations are 1/2 mile apart, probably too far to walk with heavy suitcases? Will it be easy to get a cab? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Manchester to Stratford-upon-Avon this Monday

You don't check your bag on UK trains you keep them with you. You'll have to load them onto and off the train yourself - friendly porters at railway stations are a thing of the past.

Sorry I don't know about cabs in Birmingham.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Manchester to Stratford-upon-Avon this Monday

I know its a bit alte as you are be going in morning - but just bit of last minute advice. You go from Manchester Picadilly to Birmingham New Street. Yoiu train onwards to Stratford Upon Avon is from Birmingham Moor Strret. This is advertised as a connex by foot between the stations. It is probably a 5-10 minute walk & the times gioven allow you 20 minutes minimum between you trains.

It is best to get a taxi - although it isn't far - if you have lots luggage. Regualr taxis are outside New Street Station.

Is also worth asking the staff at Manchester Pic to phone Birmingham New Street for assistance when you arrive. Birmingham New Street is a very large station with numerous staff to give advise where necessary.

Trains from Birmingham Moor Strret to Stratford U A are hourly at 27 mins apst each hour.

By the way - well done United. Good game I hear. Keep up the pressure on Chelsea. I hope you enjoyed.

California
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Manchester to Stratford-upon-Avon this Monday

well, we made it OK. It was a bit of a hassle because my teenage daughter is got a bit of the flu and we have packed too heavy, but we made it (walking) with time to spare. Seeing Man U win a game at Old Trafford is an experience of a lifetime - even with the flu and the snow we would both do it again in an instant.