We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Congestion Charge

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Congestion Charge

Hi All, Apart from London is there any other city in the UK that requires congestion charges? As I hope to drive to Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff ....

Thanks.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Congestion Charge

AFAIK no other city has yet started congestion charging, but if you are only going city to city I'd ditch the car and take the train.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Congestion Charge

Firstly, I thought of taking the train or the bus but since I will be travelling in a group of 5 plus bags it seems a bit expensive and troublesome. How about tol roads, are there roads that would require payment to pass thru. Coz I remembered 15 years ago I was driving to Cardiff and I came on a bridge and suddenly I am asked to pay (I think it was 1 pound) and luckily I had some coins with me and there was no one there if I needed change for a bigger note.

thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Congestion Charge

I think there is only one toll road in the uk - the M6 toll to avoid the M6 through Birmingham. Apart from that you have tolls on various bridges and tunnels.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Congestion Charge

The Mersey Tunnels that link Liverpool to the Wirral have a toll which costs £1.50 each way.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Congestion Charge

You can avoid the Birmingham M6 Toll by just using the M6 instead (but which does get really busy in the rush hours).

On the Birmingham M6 Toll there are automatic booths ,credit card booths and manned booths , who will give you change,to pass through at all times of day. Charges for a car are £5.50 (£11 for a van) during the week days and £3.80 (£9.60 for a van) at weekends. If you don't mind paying the charges the M6 Toll is nice to drive down, as there aren't that many using it. It also has a service station for refreshment stops .

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Congestion Charge

Durham has a congestion charge www.durham.gov.uk/pages/Service.aspx… but it doesn't look like you'll be going that way. The prices for the Severn Bridge you mentioned have gone up a fair bit in the last 15 years www.severnbridge.co.uk/toll_prices.shtml

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Congestion Charge

If you end up hitting Durham's congestion charge then you've gone the wrong way - it's there to keep traffic off Palace Green. Plenty of parking within a few minutes walk outside the zone

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Congestion Charge

Thank you for the replies, things have certainly changed the last 15 years. Hopefully my gps will point me to the right direction. Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Congestion Charge

Yes it does have a congestion fee,its called rip off on street parking 7 days a week 7 am til 8pm and very expensive.This country is going to hell in a hand cart.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Congestion Charge

You may find in regards to Durham the pay station has vanished and you have to walk a long way to the parking office to pay but it's not clear at all. Your best option use the car park by the shopping centre or under the library / cinema and theatre, I regularly go to Durham and that areas name has gone out of my head.