We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mum visiting - need advice!!

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mum visiting - need advice!!

I only moved to Manchester a few months ago and, to be honest, have been so busy job and flat hunting that I don't really have a clue what vistors to the city want to do!

I'm living in the Chorlton area, so know about Chorlton Green etc, but basically my mum's coming to visit (aged 50ish) for 4 or 5 days and I'm at a loss as to what to do!

She's a mad Corrie fan, so was thinking about that tour - has anyone been on it / would recommend it? Other than that there's the Trafford centre, but does anyone have any other ideas? No planned tours or anything, but I want to show her the cool side of Manchester, nothing too posh and nothing too studenty. Good ideas for pubs / bars / restaurants would be appreciated!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mum visiting - need advice!!

The Granada Stuio Tour finished years a go!!! The only way I know of to see 'The Street' is from one of the windows in the Museum of Science and Industry - even then it's only a glimpse.

Apart from all the usual galleries, museums and stuff, I'd suggest just walking round town - take in Castlefield (Dukes or Alberts Shed are good for food and drink), G-Mex, St. Peters Square (Central Library) Albert Square (Town Hall), Cross Street, King Street, Deansgate, Great Northern Square, Exchange Sq - all of those include the shopping areas (much better than the Trafford Centre in my opinion).

Also, a tram out to Salford Quays for more shops, galleries, museums etc....

For food and drink I'd recommend Grinch, Evuna, Harvey Nichols Brasserie, Living Room (lunch rather than dinner), Sams and Thomas' Chop Houses and China Town.

Spend 10 minutes trawling the recent threads here and you'll get a very good overview of sights, shopping, food and drink ideas.