We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Level Contributor
124 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

I live in the U.S. and I plan on visiting the U.K. during September. This game is scheduled to be played on September 18th and I will be leaving on the 19th.... It would be a dream come true to get two tickets to this game. What is the best guarenteed way to buy tickets to this game?

I would be happy with any tickets, they do not have to be the best seats. I have only seen the hospitality packages for sale on the Manchester United web site and for two people I am looking at spending $800-900 U.S. There has to be a cheaper way.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

You have very, very little way of doing this cheaply and/or legally, I'm afraid.

The game will be a sell-out. The only official tickets will be the hospitality ones or tickets sold through the official resale website which you can access from the Manchester United website. However, I'd be amazed if there were any tickets sold through this channel.

Other options are bit more dodgy - touts will be selling tickets on the day of the game. This is illegal but is semi-tolerated by the Police. If you were to come to Old Trafford people would be selling tickets but you'd be looking at around £200.00 for a single ticket. If you're with someone it would be rare to get tickets together. You can sometimes be cheeky and wait until ten minutes after kick-off and see if they'll sell to you then but it's rare.

Other ways of doing it are joining the Red Issue forums and seeing if anyone will sell you a ticket. There are always people looking to sell tickets on but don't want to get fleeced by touts themselves. But, Chelsea is probably the biggest game of the year and if they're not going themselves will have family and friends to sell them to.

The other way is to come to Manchester and get some of the atmosphere in the pubs around Old Trafford. It's unlikely but you may hear of people who have been stood up and have a single ticket to sell and they don't want to sell to touts either.

And - as is likely - if you don't get a ticket you can stay in thepub and watch the match on the pub TV.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

http://www.redissue.co.uk/

Free to join also very informative on all things Utd.Like the previous poster said it will be difficult to find cheap tickets,but not impossible,you could find a sympathetic ear on Red Issue.

You will enjoy the weekend anyway,all the pubs will show the game ,and the atmosphere will be great.Manchester is a great party town and of course ,naturally full of Utd supporters .

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Superbowl tickets for £50? Think that and you're on the right lines. This game is big, most regular supporters can't get tickets for it.

Good luck.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,562 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Yes, I'm a regular supporter, and have been for many decades (since first seeing the Busby Babes in 1957).

As a member I apply through the ManU ballot system and my chances of getting a ticket through that official process are only about 20%.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Impossible to get tickets at any kind of reasonable price.

Why not try a less popular match (not involving any of the big Four / Five), just to experience the atmosphere in a football match.

e.g. I can get tickets to Fulham games against other mid league teams without a problem.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Good call, there will be a few other premier league games on that weekend in the north west. Try somewhere like Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan or one of the Liverpool teams maybe?

Mentioned in this post
Bolton
Bolton
Greater Manchester, UK
Blackburn
Blackburn
Lancashire, UK
Wigan
Wigan
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Firstly, become a member. Then take your chances in the members ballot. Most games open for application 6 weeks prior to the game. There is a slim chance of getting them for such a big game, but you never know.

Also as a member you can register with Viagogo the ticket exchange scheme. Season ticket holders who can't go to a particular game can post them on there and sell them to members who lose out in the ballot. The chances of getting tickets for the Chelsea game are slim too as most fans wouldn't want to miss this game, and you are up against more people who will go through the Viagogo route. These tickets go as soon as someone posts their seat.

If your coming from the US go down the hospitality route and make a day of it. You will get meal, a match programme as well as your match ticket. Don't go through the touts, its just not worth the journey to either get ripped off or get a ticket that is not genuine.

Good luck

Belfast
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Hi,

Just to inform you that Viagogo no longer sells United tickets. I am not sure if United are going to set up an alternative ticket exchange but at the minute there is nothing. I dont think Viagogo sold many tickets last year as most home games went on general sale.

To the original poster....as everyone else has said it will be really hard to get a ticket for Chelsea game.

However the first Champions league game is scheduled for 13/14 September. We wont know until the draw is made in August if we will be at home that night but if we are you would have a better chance of getting a ticket.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,285 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

Everton are home to Wigan on Sat 17th Sept. You can just walk up and buy a ticket on the gate for that one.

Liverpool are away to Spurs on Sun 18th Sept. I don't think you'll get a ticket for that!

Mentioned in this post
Wigan
Wigan
Greater Manchester, UK
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester United vs Chelsea Tickets

My advice is stay clear of touts, they are the parasites of every game in the world. I go to matches regularly in Old Trafford. There are a lot of genuine Irish season ticket holders out there who can't make it to every match (because of raised flight prices) and sell their ticket at face value to genuine supporters and the ones I have met NEVER sell to touts. I would give my ticket away before I'd sell it to a tout. My advice is not to spend 800 dollars as it is a total rip-off. Take the advice here and see if a genuine supporter will sell you a ticket for face value. I was at the Chelsea match in Old Trafford last year and the atmosphere was amazing.