We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation needed!

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation needed!

City centre, for wifes birthday, budget £100 ish for 2 of us.

Somewhere nice.

Have booked Lounge 10 after a recommendation of a friend of a friend.

Is it a good choice or are there others out there for a romantic meal for 2?

Thanks

G

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

It's a good five years since I went but I thought Lounge 10 was terrible. All style over substance and we were in and out within forty minutes because of the rushed service.

The waitress was gorgeous but it seemed like we were an inconvenience more than anything else.

We've not been back so it may well have improved - in fact, it would have to have done so to have stayed open so maybe we just caught it on a poor night.

The old Spanish bar (Pintxo's) that was on the site was fantastic...it's a shame that's gone.

Anyway...for quirky romantic rather than fancy dan stuff, I'd always recommend the Market Restaurant. Great food and a budget of about £75.00-80.00.

The River Room at the Lowry's very good. There's also le Mont and Establishment at that price range but I've never been!

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

Lounge Ten is pretty good, though it is 'trendy' rather than out and out 'foodie', and can be cramped. Some people may be slightly shocked by the risque decor too.

Otherwise if you are splashing out then the River Room is outstanding, and I really like the room which is stylish and comfortable and fitting for a five star hotel restaurant. Classic French cuisine is the order of the day here.

Establishment could be worth a crack. The launch chef, Ian Morgan, is now gone but the new guy (ex-Heathcotes) has some pedigree and is garnering very good reviews. Metro just made it their restaurant of the year.

Le Mont is probably one to avoid for now. It has huge potential but has always had its ups and downs. I think the whole thing is due for a shake up to be honest.

There are plenty of other good restaurants in the city centre, but the above are the big three as far as formal, indulgent fine-dining goes.

Beyond that Harvey Nicholls is ok (but the price hike between the informal brasserie and the restaurant proper isn't justified), Obsidian is patchy and in a strange site, Cotton House is just poor, and the restaurant at the Radisson has a great chef but has had some teething troubles - could be worth reevaluating?

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Thom

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

NFMac,

You're right Pintxos was good. Only lasted about twelve months or so, but I really liked the feel of the place.

I'd like to see someone reopen a similar restaurant/cafe, but with the price of property now I guess such a small independent concept would only really work in the Northern Quarter.

Cheers

Thom

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

In addition to the ones Thom mentioned, I have also really enjoyed excellent meals at The Restaurant Bar & Grill, and Le Petit Blanc. Both in town centre.

uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

Thanks for the posts. Very useful.

I think i'll stick with the original choice.

Ive previously eaten at the Restaurant Bar and Grill and thought it excellent but a bit too hectic for a romantic meal for 2.

We're staying at the Great John St Hotel which on the map doesnt look too far to walk to Tibb St.

Will try the Lowry next time - sounds good any my friend who works in Manchester wants to give it a go so we'll go with them next time we stay at theirs.

Thanks again - will report back on Lounge 10 for you.

Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

geoggy,

let us know what you thought about the hotel too. had a similar night out recently and narrowed it down to stay and eat at lowry or gt john st and eat at lounge 10. plumped for the lowry in the end which was terrific but fancy trying the other next time.

cheers.

uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

will do - got a great rate and used some travel points on my thomas cook credit card so its only costing me 44 quid for the night.

cant really go wrong for that!

uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

Ok, as promised here are my hotel and restaurant views on Great John St and Lounge 10.

1. Hotel. 10 out of 10

Outstanding. From the hotels i Have stayed in worldwide this is second only to Raffles. Beautiful room, friendly attentive staff and best of all the Saapstar Superstars were all staying there.

OK, the last point isn't really relevant but you get the picture. Any room that has a large roll top bath in it gets my vote.

Ok there minor things that people on this site seem to get het up about - but one call to reception got us an extra set of towels, and the minin bar fridge didnt work, but the butler brought us loads of ice and a bucket for our champagne so who cares??

2. Lounge 10

Marks out of 10

Ambience : 9

Nice place, plushly done. Bit miffed to be stuck in the loft (sorry the boudoir), but nice and cosy up there of nothing else

Food : 10

Couldn't fault it. Duck spring rolls, Beef Fillet and Cheese and port for me, the wife had scallops, duck and clotted cream cheesecake. 2 bottles of wine - a bargain at £130. ;o)

Service : 7

We were not asked our name when we walked in, so what was the point of booking - i'm sure thats why they stuck us upstairs but it was v busy. The waiter was polite and attentive, but could not be described as friendly as he did not speak a great deal of english.

All in all, i couldn't have chosen better. I am well in credit on the brownie point front. Look forward to another night in the Gt John Street, but next time we'd try a different restaurant.

Thanks for all your help.

G

Manchester
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

I live in Manchester and eat out regularly at what are considered to be the best places...

River room - over priced, too complicated, small portions, trying too hard, unsatisfying, no atmosphere. Trust me - I know! It is in the Lowry hotel which is lovely though.

Try instead:

The Restaurant Bar & Grill - just great food, trendy surroundings, pastas, fillet steak, duck, risottos etc. All the modern stuff, cooked well, reasonable charges.

Last night I had a fantastic meal at Velvet in the Gay Village. Huge portions, beautfully served. I had duck pizza, my other half had moroccan lamb shank. However, the singapore noodles that came out of the kitchen and the fried chicken looked even better still.

Obsidian - modern thai fusion, under the Arora Hotel owned by Cliff Richard. Fab.

Opus One - In the Radisson Hotel. Very nice too.

Italian - try Piccolino.

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed!

Interesting points of view xxlaywerxx.

As has been pointed out before rating food and restaurants is a tricky and subjective business.

I have to defend the River Rooms though. The portions are small, it is expensive and the service is zealous, but to be honest this is the fine-dining experience. If fine-dining isn't your thing then your points are correct, but compare The River Rooms like-for-like with similar restaurants (be that Jessicas in Birmingham, No 3 in Leeds, The London CarriageWorks in Liverpool or Ramsay, The Square or Petrus in London) then I think you will find the River Rooms come out very well.

Certainly there is no restaurant better placed to bring a Michelin star back to Manchester (though a resurgent Establishment could run it close if they sort out the purple room dividers!).

I think Picc and The Restaurant Bar and Grill are excellent, but I am still not convinced about Obsidian. I have found the food up and down there, and the space doesn't suit the level of food. That said, I think the slating from Giles Coren of the Times was lazy and unfair. Duncan Poyser is an excellent chef, but with his illness and subsequent absence from the kitchen (not to mention a high staff turnover) I don't think it has hit the heights it should of.

Velvet I honestly wouldn't go back to again to eat. I loved the place when it first opened, and used to eat there every week. It did though go downhill over the last several years, and a couple of recent visits prove it's not refound it's form. The menu is varied, the pricing is keen, and the room and atmosphere are lovely, buy the tiny kitchen and small brigade limit the actual food prodcuced, and I find the reliance on bought-in contract-catered fried foods dissapointing from a place which is a Canal St institution.

I do love the new bar area upstairs though.

Hope that doesn't seem antagonistic, but you just mentioned some places I have quiet strong feelings about. The slide at the much-loved Velvet is particularly sad (I feel the same nostalgic sadness about Dimitris!)

Cheers

Thom