We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Station near Old Trafford

wattyc
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Station near Old Trafford

Hello.

I am due to go to Old Trafford next month and wondered if you would be able to advise me which train station is the closest and can you walk from it to the ground?

Thank you.

Scotland
Level Contributor
67 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Station near Old Trafford

Closest Metro station is Old Trafford (funnily enough!) You don't say if you are going to the cricket ground or the football ground but they are both in the same direction. If you are coming from Manchester city centre, get off the tram, down the steps and turn right under the tracks. Then just walk in a straight line up the road for 2 mins to the cricket ground or 10 mins for the football ground (will cross two main roads). You can catch the metro from various points around the city centre - the final destination of the tram you want will be 'Altrincham'. Hope this helps, enjoy!

wattyc
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Station near Old Trafford

My option when I look on the national rail enquiries website are:

Manchester Victoria

Manchester Piccadilly

Manchester Oxford Rd

I suppose I really want to know which is the closest to the Ibis hotel on Charles Street thinkng about it or does anyone know if the Ibis has a car park? (I will rng them tom if no one knows off the top of their head).

Thank you.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Station near Old Trafford

wattyc, the stations that you mentioned are railway stations. To get to Old Trafford, from your hotel, you require the tram. The nearest tram station is at St. Peters Square, a short distance from your hotel. Your hotel is on the corner of Princess Street, just walk up Princess Street, towards the City Centre, turn left on to Mosley Street and you will see the tram station in front of you. Use the ticket machine and book to Old Trafford ( about £2.00 return). The tram that you require is the Altrincham tram. When you get off the tram just follow the crowds.

Don't go to the match by car, you will pay at least £5.00 to park and get involved in a lot of congestion. On any other day you can park in the car parks, opposite the front of the stadium, free of charge.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Enjoy your trip.

wattyc
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Station near Old Trafford

Thank you for the response, however it is the rail stations I am looking for as I need to get from home to Manchester.

The reason I ask about the car park is if the hotel has a free car park, we will drive from home to Manchetser and then get the tram to the ground, however if they don't then we will get the train from home to Manchster and then again the tram to the ground.

Thank you.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Station near Old Trafford

wattyc, I am told that there is no car park at the Ibis hotel. There is a multi-story car park, just yards from the hotel, in Charles Street. I believe that they do cheap rates at the weekend. Parking is free on the streets of Manchester, from 6.00pm on Saturday until Monday morning, at parking meters and on single yellow lines as long as you don't cause an obstruction.

Oxford Road and Piccadilly Stations are both within walking distance from The Ibis hotel.

Victoria Station is a bit further away. You can catch the free Metroshuttle bus (number two) at the entrance to Victoria Station, it will drop you off at the BBC which is a few minutes walk from your hotel.

Manchester
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Station near Old Trafford

As well as the trams which are a bit of a walk away there is a train station right at the ground which only operates on match days (its beside the shop). I have caught a train from Oxford Rd to this station

wattyc
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Station near Old Trafford

Thank you both.

Do you think we are likely to get in the multi storey if we arrive at the hotel around 11 o clock? Or do you think it will be full ready for the match?

How long before kick off do you have to be at the ground?

Sorry for all the questions, but I can't ask my husband as this is a suprise for him.

Thank you.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Station near Old Trafford

wattyc, you will have no trouble getting into the Charles Street multi-story car park. It is one of the less busy car parks, in the City Centre. Try and get to Old Trafford as early as possible, turnstiles are still open some time after the kick off. You need to allow about 15 minutes to get from the turnstile to your seats, without rushing.

The North Stand is on the right hand side of the stadium, looking from the front.

wattyc
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Station near Old Trafford

Thank you once again.

And guess what I have another question!!!

How far away is the printworks from the Ibis hotel please?

Thank you.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Station near Old Trafford

wattyc, It is roughly a 20 minute walk. If you don't want to walk there is a free Metroshuttle bus service ( number 2 ), the nearest stop is at the end of Charles Street, opposite the BBC. The service runs up till 7.00pm, Monday-Saturday and 6.00pm on Sunday. This bus will take you to the door of the Printworks. The GMPTE web site will give you details of the free Metroshuffle buses.