We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just saturday night

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
just saturday night

hi,

we just booked our flight tickets.. :)

we r a young couple, arriving at Edinburgh on 24th june afternoon. then we plan to reach manchester on saturday, 28th june; spend the night there, go to york on sunday.then we plan to reach london on either sunday night or monday morning (30th june).

now, questions :- ( I have posted different questions in diff forums, please forgive me if they sound repetitive to u guys )

we plan to just visit manchester for saturday night... where to stay/ what to do???

is it worth it or shd we just skip manchester and proceed to york?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just saturday night

I'm confused by your itinerary, from other posts you seem to be travelling to London via York and just spending perhaps one night in Manchester and 1/2 a day in York. Although this is none of my business I can't see any point in visiting either city for such a short space of time when you have come from India. York is beautiful city but you would need at least 2 days to see it properly IMO. Manchester is an interesting place and again I would say 2 days to get a proper feel for the place. If you only have a day to spend on both I would say just go straight to London and spend that time there.

Back to the original question "Where to stay/what to do?" It depends on how much you want to pay for a hotel room and second part of the question, what do you want to do? Pub, club, show, eat, cinema? I'm sure with a bit more information you would get lots of helpful ideas.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: just saturday night

i know u r right -

we'll be just touching these places.. but its better than missing out on them altogether :)

as regards the prices of accomodation, well, we dont want to spend too much - uk seems to be really expensive as compared to usa and european countries!! we are not looking for a five star comfort, but just a neat, central and safe place.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: just saturday night

am looking for pubbing in manchester... hv heard its the best place to be on a saturday night. is it really the case ortherwise we'll just go to york directly.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just saturday night

As regards hotels Premier Inns are usually basic, clean and cheap. There are 3 (I think) in the city Centre. The Ibis chain is another that seems to get good reviews. The Mitre often comes up cheap, but I would avoid it if I were you IMO it's a dump. Also avoid any hotel bearing the name Britannia. I have no idea of the pub scene in Manchester these days, my Saturday nights in Manchester pubbing and clubbing ended in the '70's, but I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful hints.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just saturday night

thx sue. am checkin up these

:)

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just saturday night

I agree I think you would be better off staying in a Premier Inn and ideally the one opposite the G-Mex as it is in a good location.

www.premierinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do…

The other hotel i would suggest is Jurys Inn but avoid the Britannia!

http://manchesterhotels.jurysinns.com/

With regards to pubs / bars they are kinda all over Manchester so you wont really have a problem. There is the Deansgate locks area and Castlefield. Then there is the Northern Quarter which has some cool bars and is probably the lastest place to hang out in the city. Your itinerary seems a little action packed! But I am sure you will get a feel for Manchester in a day / eve.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: just saturday night

thx!!

surprisingly, u're the only one who's not discouraged me from going to manchester hehe

well, how does this sound? - on saturday, we go to york from edinburgh, put our luggage at the storage, spend the day there and then go to manchester in the evening??

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
311 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just saturday night

>>>"on saturday, we go to york from edinburgh, put our luggage at the storage, spend the day there and then go to manchester in the evening??"<<<

Like other respondetns, I live in Manchester (and love it); but I have to say that your latest idea (above) sounds like a pretty dumb plan to me. If you're heading to York, then travelling over to Manchester for the evening is (IMHO) a waste of time; pains me to say it, but I'm just trying to be helpful. If you're after a night out in town with a few pubs to sample, I think you're better off staying in York to do this (even if surrounded by Yorkshiremen; and tourists) rather than spending an hour or more each way on the train to Manchester.

Perhaps a more polite way of saying this might be "don't try to cram too much in"; or "if you want to experience Manchester, give it the time it deserves". My underlying concern (for you as a fellow traveller) is that you'd end up spending too much time dotting about (with the best of intentions) and not really getting the best of anything.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just saturday night

Hi

I am staying at the gmex premier inn on the 28/06, and going out into town, booked piccolinos for a meal, and a few drinks afterwards, great in manchester on a saturday night, I love manchester.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just saturday night

I think that you really need a full day in Manchester and a full evening there! If you cram too much in then you will just be exhausted and this holiday will turn into a nightmare!

Why dont you do the 24th & 25th in Edinburgh, 26th & 27th in York, travel to Manchester on the 28th and then spend a bit of time there then go onto London for the 30th?

By the sounds of your itinerary it seems you may be spending a bit too much time in Edinburgh at the beginning of your trip - just a thought!

Manchester is a very cool city and has a lot to offer just give it the time it deserves!!!