We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Hello! I am travelling with my husband to London Aug 23-31. He is a huge ManU fan... it would be his dream come true if we could see a game, but I realize this will likely not be possible.

I know the fixtures will be announced June 16th, but I see that ManU are playing a game in Monaco on Aug 29... I assume they probably won't be playing at home the same weekend then.

I thought a good plan would be to go to Manchester on the 29th to see the Old Trafford Museum & Stadium tour, and then watch the game at a pub (hopefully with a crowd of ManU fans!)

Questions:

1 - Can someone recommend a good pub to watch the game at? I'm hoping for lots of rowdy fans, a true English Football experience!

2 - I've been checking into rail fares... I'm not sure if it will be possible to watch the game (evening) and go back to London afterwards (do trains run this late?)

3 - Would it be better to stay overnight? Can you recommend a reasonably priced hotel, nearby the pub from question 1?

4 - What is a 'good' rail fare? So far the fares available seem a little steep... I see 16 GBP for early August but much more expensive for Aug 29. If I wait, will cheaper fares become available?

Thank you!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Hi,

Here's my advice:

1. The game isn't considered to be a particularly big game, so I'm not sure you'll find the atmosphere you're looking for (shame you weren't here for the champions league final, the whole of Manchester was 'rowdy'). Anyway, pubs around the ground could be the places to go: The Trafford, Bishops Blaize or Samuel Platts. Of those I'd recommend Sam Platts (manchesterbars.com/location-oldtrafford.htm)

Other than that, any pub in the city centre that is showing the game would be good: http://www.manchesterbars.com/index.htm and look for the 'live football' icon.

2. Direct trains from Manchester to London stop running at around 8.45pm, so you'll probably need an overnight stay. That said, there's a chance that United will be playing at home the weekend before (weekend 23/24 August and the 25th I think as that's the August bank holiday Monday).

3. Hotels near the ground are any in Salford Quays and (Holiday Inn Express, Salford Quays Ramada, Premier Inn (the one right next to Old Trafford is £62/night for 29th August), Etap Hotel, The Old Trafford Lodge.

4. No idea about how the train fares work I'm afraid, but I think that generally the earlier you book, the cheaper the fare. £16 is VERY cheap. I'd wait for a week or two to see all August fares. I use www.nationalrail.co.uk, but there was a post on here recently recommending a site that was offering very cheap Manchester to London fares.

I'm sure you'll be checking the fixture lists anyway, but it's also worth checking to see if United are playing away in London while you're here.

Hope that helps.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,240 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Typical Man U fan, Winnipeg? Sorry I just couldn't resist. Before anyone hits back - born in Manchester 53 years ago (Withington Hospital) lived in Manchester (Wythenshawe, Didsbury, Victoria Park and Moss Side) for most of my life before moving to Bolton because house prices were way cheaper. BTW most Man U fans are not English and certainly not Mancunians. I hate football big waste of money IMO. However it occupies DH on a Saturday for most of the winter so I have no complaints.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Thanks for the advice. We will be at a wedding on the 23rd/24th in London so I'm not too optimistic that a game will work out... but still, I'll wait till the fixtures are announced before we book anything.

I can just imagine what it would have been like to be around during the champions league final. There was some rowdiness in my basement but obviously that doesn't compare!!

As for the last comment... my husband is actually from Kenya and grew up watching the premiership, so that's where he got to be a fan. A major condition for moving to Winnipeg was that I make sure to get the proper channels so that he could watch his football!

Thanks again!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Suewick, how did your message answer the OP's question? Why bother with that? Especially as you're not even bothered about football. Of course the majority of United fans aren't from Manchester - when there's an estimated 4 million United fans world wide and Manchester has a population of 400,000. Simple maths that. The fact that of those 400,000 in Manchester there's more United than city is conveniently ignored.

Why did I even bother to answer that? God knows (couple of beers in this afternoons sun probably).

Anyway, to our visitor from Canada, I hope you have a great time over here and manage to get to Manchester and enjoy see the reds playing in some shape or form! You don't need to defend yourself about questions about why you want to see United (funny these questions were never asked in the 70's and 80's when United still attracted the biggest crowds but weren't winning anything and football wasn't 'trendy').

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Thanks for that, retep68!

To Suewick... There is no professional football in Kenya, or Canada for that matter (well there is a relatively new league, but Winnipeg doesn't have a team and anyway the caliber is not on the same level AT ALL compared to the premiership). So I don't see the problem in watching / supporting a 'foreign' league? I think I'd be pretty happy / proud if our local hockey team had supporters around the world - I cretainly wouldn't make fun of them.

Just because my husband isn't from Manchester doesn't make him any less of a fan. He's been supporting the team for 20 years... in fact it was part of our wedding vows that I should "never interrupt a Manchester United game". (Partly a joke but not entirely!!)

Anyway, I appreciate the practical advice I have received here. Even if we only get to see Old Trafford, that would be a pretty neat experience in itself. Cheers!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,240 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Sorry for ruffling your feathers.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

No ruffled feathers here.

Your post was called for being pointless, boring and unhelpful. That's all.

All a bit odd because your posts are usually the opposite of that!

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

PLEASE NOTE: The 29th August is a Friday ... and on the following Saturday (6th Sept) there is a World Cup Qualifying match involving England.

Therefore, it is possible that there might not be any Premier League games on the weekend on 29th/30th/31st August due to the FA allowing the England squad to prepare for this important international. This also means that it is highly unlikely that many (if any at all) of Man Utd's big name players (English or otherwise) will be involved in the Monaco friendly.

My advice would be don't set your heart on seeing Rooney, Ronaldo (?), Tevez, Ferdinand etc in action because they probably won't be.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
640 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

retop said "The fact that of those 400,000 in Manchester there's more United than city is conveniently ignored."

more un!ted lies! greater manchester (especially salford)? of course. but hulme,moss side,didsbury,withington,gorton etc etc???. dream on.

i'll let you have newton heath!

i used to get wound up by the un!ted tourists but, as a fan of manc, i have to accept that they're a major source of revenue for the city!

enjoy your stay, WpqNBO.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ManU fan - daytrip advice?

Thanks for the heads up... that is a good point about the qualifier, I hadn't realized. Looks like the stars are not aligning for us, too bad. I appreciate the tips!