We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Fri 23rd Nov - Sun 25th

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - Fri 23rd Nov - Sun 25th

Hello all

Here is my trip report from my weekend in Manchester. I have been to Manchester a few times and have done the whole tourist/site seeing thing. The reason for this trip was to have a budget but relaxing weekend away with my friend, we are both female and aged 26yrs.

Fri

Got coach from Leeds Coach station, it was a fun fare option so paid £10 each return. There was a delay getting setting off and then on the motorway as the traffic was very bad. Set off at 4pm and arrived in Manchester at 6pm (was supposed to take 1hr 10mins).

We were staying at the Hilton Chambers Hostel, I was rather nervous as I have never stayed in one before but it was really really good, better than expected. The cost to stay in an ensuite 6 berth room was £20 each per night, so much cheaper than hotels. I will do a report in the hotel section. It was just under a 10min walk from the coach station to the hostel, so very good location.

Once we arrived and got checked in we quickly got changed and booked a taxi to go to the comedy store as I pre booked tickets for the show. Note: Taxi's in Manchester seem to take a long time to arrive and they have £3 already on the meter before setting off. We spent a lot of money on taxis this weekend.

The Comedy Store (Deansgate Lock) was great, we paid £16 each (plus £2 ea for booking fee) and got to see 4 comedians and the Compere. The place was packed and everyone was in good spirits, I haven't laughed so much in ages, I highly recommend it. After the show we went downstairs and listened to a life band for free (2 guys with acoustic guitars) they were great and took requests.

We then went to the bar next door, Loaf and stayed there until closing. It was a nice place and had an upstairs and downstairs. We ended the night about 4am and went back to the hostel, which is open 24rs.

Sat

Woke up feeling a little hungover and very hungry. We asked at reception where was good to go and they said the Koffe Pot which was a cafe next door. We visited there and it was lovely. Only paid £4 ea for a full English Breakie which included a hot drink. It was very tasty and the service was very quick. This cafe has won awards!!

We then went back to the hostel and relaxed in the canteen and tv room, got speaking to some people and swapped stories on where to go. We had to be at the Health Club at 12.45 so we ordered a taxi (we would have walked but it was raining a lot and we didn't have umbrellas). The Health Club is called GL14, 3 Chepstow Street (just off Oxford Street). We paid £53 ea for a 30min massage and pedicure, this included full use of their gym, swimming pool and sauna (the jacuzzi was out of order). When we arrived they gave us a towel, dressing gown, padlock and slippers (which we could keep), the staff were very helpful and we got free drinks throughout the day.

Feeling all relaxed we left the spa at 5.30pm and headed back to the hostel, stopping on the way to buy dinner that we could make in the hostel. As we were doing budget we didn't want to go to a restaurant and overspend. Starter, Main and bottle of win later we were pogged out so went to our room to have a lie down.

We didn't go out until 11pm and went back to Deansgate Lock, this time to Revolution. There was a bar upstairs and a nightclub downstairs, we paid £3 in and decided to stay there all evening.

Sun

Kick out time at the hostel is 11am, as our coach was not until 2.10 we asked them if they could store our luggage, which they did. The hostel offers free tea, coffee, orange and toast throughout the day so we pigged out there. I used the internet £1 for 30mins and then we decided to have a browse around some of the funky shops.

Our coach was a bit late again but we were lucky enough to have no traffic and we made no stops so we got back to Leeds more or less the same time we should have done.

It was a great weekend and it was nice to do something different, not including drinks, food and taxis we spent: £121 for our weekend, which i think is excellent.

Hope this has been ok, sorry if it was too long.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Fri 23rd Nov - Sun 25th

Nice Trip Report.

Don't get many TR's on here (any!?!?!) so thanks for making the effort.

Sometimes wonder how people get on with their visits after they've been offered advice here.

Cheers

Pete

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Fri 23rd Nov - Sun 25th

as an alternative to the comedy store, you might wanna try the 'frog and bucket' next time. it's more of a comedy club, rather than an auditorium.

3. Re: Trip Report - Fri 23rd Nov - Sun 25th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 04, 2009