We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

manchester airport - how long from security to gate?

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
manchester airport - how long from security to gate?

hi, i am flying to canada on my own tomorrow from manchester airport, as i will be on my own a while, my family will be staying with me at the airport for a little while before i go to security (also so they can have a bit of a break before driving straight back to birmingham) so i was wondering how long it takes aproximatly from security to gate,

i am planning on checking me and my bags in, then having a drink/breakfast before security with my family, then leaving my family and going through securty and to the gate, so how long before the flight do i need to go through as i have not been to this airport before so am not sure of the size/how busy it is etc

i am flying from terminal 1 if that makes a difference

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: manchester airport - how long from security to gate?

It's really not that big at all, I'd guess it wopuld take no more than 10 minutes to walk slowly to the furthest away gate. But the problem might be if there's a queue at security.

I'd probably want to go through security an hour before your check-in time.

There's a very nice restaurant (the Lancaster Brasserie) in Terminal one. It's just up the escalator from the entrance to the security area so you'll easily be able to judge whether there are bad queues or not. Or, there are a few coffee-shops around the same area as well. Loads and loads of electronic signs as well that will keep you fully updated.

Anyway, if you and your luggage are checked in, there's almost no chance at all that the flight will leave without you. If they're 'calling your flight' (or even your name!) I'm sure you'd be able to jump the queue!!!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: manchester airport - how long from security to gate?

Ooops...just seen that you posted this yesterday so you probably flew this morning! Hope you figured it out yourself!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: manchester airport - how long from security to gate?

Though out-of-date, NFMac, your advice about the flight not going without her is rubbish! They'd offload bags and go.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: manchester airport - how long from security to gate?

They would eventually, but if this girl had been there and heard her name being called, my point was that she's probably be rushed through secruity. A bit cheeky, I grant you!

5. Re: manchester airport - how long from security to gate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 12, 2009