We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightclubs

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pdc
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nightclubs

hi im going over for 2nights with my boyfriend, can any one reccomend any nightclubs, Rnb music or hip-hop?

Read in another post that some R n B nightclubs are dangerous! why is this?

or can you reccomend any nightclubs near portland street that play todays music, dont like rock and indine music and lot seem to play that type music

Cheers for the help

Katie

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nightclubs

R'n'B clubs have a reputation for drugs and violence. No idea whether it's warranted but you do see signs in some bars/clubs saying, 'no R'n'B' which is (according to a policeman friend of mine) code to the police that they won't tolerate drugs on the premises.

Anyway...there are still plenty of places that play this type of music. I'm not a fan so can't give any specific recommendations but M-Two (the old Discotheque Royale) is the biggest club. It's opposite Baby Grand which is another bar that plays this music. These are on Peter Street which is just round the corner from Portland Street. Quite a few other bars on this road as well (often referred to as the Straight Quarter).

Check out www.manchesteronline.co.uk or www.manchesterconfidential.com for more specific details.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nightclubs

Ventured into Baby Grand not realising what kind of nightclub it was, but we had a fun night and it's probably the kind of place you are looking for.

Strangely enough my boyfriend and I were just walking past and a doorman asked if we would like free entry and a free drink. Obviously we said yes so he whisked us past a very long queue, got us in for free and asked the barmaid to get us 2 free drinks...and there was no catch. No idea why we were singled out for free entry but we certainly weren't complaining!!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nightclubs

Hi

M2 has a bad reputation and has a strict door policy for lads, but all the crowd seems to be under 22.

Drinks are expensive and it is quite ruff in there, if you want r and b, Id go to sugar lounge if you can get in the djs in there play new and old r and b and hiphop, and a good mix of ages, also try lime bar my fave a good mix of uptodate rnb like rhianna etc but dj plays old school like micheal jackson,good good atmosphere and downstairs is a club, you will love it, situated near the town hall, opposite piccolinos restaurant, behind portland st about 5 min walk.

Enjoy and be careful.

Oh just a mention Bar 38 is wicked near the gmex!

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: nightclubs

I would agree with the other posters M2 is an awful club, i went there about 3 or 4 times when i was 18 and felt uneasy in there. Had a very aggressive atmosphere.

You could get a taxi to the printworks (although its only a 10 min walk) all undercover, clubs like pure, opus and tiger tiger are there, although im more into indie music these places may be good for you. Also has places to eat and is very well policed.

As for safety ive heard Pure has airport style scanners to prevent knives or other weapons being taken into the club, although ive not seen this for myself 1st hand.

www.theprintworks.com

hope you have a good time anyway.

5. Re: nightclubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 04, 2009