We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

10 posts
Save Topic
Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

Hi guys

Can anyone advise if there is a park and ride at the Etihad stadium with a big car park nearby? I need to tram straight to Piccadilly as I don't want to park in the city centre and I'm travelling from the Midlands - this seems like the easiest way to get into town.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

Have you looked at the stadium's website? It suggests there is no park & ride site.

https:/…20stadium

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

If you are coming from the Midlands then I would have thought that the Etihad is on the wrong side of town.

Better to park up around Altrincham or Sale if you don't want to park in the centre.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

Your earlier post said you were coming from Sheffield on A57 M67. Assuming that's still the case -

Perhaps park in a residential area of Glossop, walk up to about 1/2 mile to the station and get the train from Glossop. (Similar options are available, slightly different route, by parking at either New Mills or Marple.

Even better is taking the train all the way from Sheffield, unless there's some reason why that isn't viable..

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

There is no park and ride at the Ethiad, bit surprised nobody has thought of it but maybe city don't need the money, Ashton Moss, Ashton West and Cemeterary Road all apparently have parking on that route but agree with previous comments, they are on the wrong side of Manchester given your direction of approach.

Maybe Sale Water Park or various train stations on the south side of Manchester with direct services to Picadilly.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

Parking in Parrs wood in DIdsbury might be worth considering as well.

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

Thanks for everyone’s advice. I am no longer travelling from Sheffield as my first meeting is cancelled - coming straight from Nottingham now. Could anyone confirm which would be the best park and ride from that direction? Thank you so much!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

East Didsbury (Parrs Wood) or Sale water Park would be my choices. If you are on the M60, Sale Water Park is really convenient.

But it depends if you are travelling across country via Ashbourne, Leek etc or up the M1 and across on the M62.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

From Nottingham to central Manchester, definitely do "not" take the route option that goes up the M6 (horrendous roadworks & narrow lanes for mile on end).

I would take the Chesterfield, Hathersage & A57 Snake Pass option. In doing that you drive within 100 yds of Bamford station. Park there in the lovely countryside and take the train to Manchester Piccadilly. (Or there's still the Glossop option then train).

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

IMO if you are planning on driving as far as nearby places like Parrs Wood or Sale Water Park in Gt Manc, and then taking a tram, you might as well drive right into the city centre itself.

10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly

Fantastic! Thanks so much everyone for your replies!

Reply to: Tram from Etihad to Piccadilly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted