We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Tulip to Airport

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Tulip to Airport

I am flying in on Sunday, May 13th to watch the ManU game and staying at the Golden Tulip (I laugh at the name every time I say it). I am OK getting to the hotel on Sunday, but I have a 8:00am flight the next morning to London.

What is my best bet for getting to the airport Monday morning? Just taking a taxi? I looked and was not sure that the other public transportation would get me to the airport in time. I will have no luggage to check, and will check in online in advance.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this. Still can't believe I am going to be in England and see a game at Old Trafford!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Tulip to Airport

Hi,

Taxi is your best (only?!?) option. Your hotel will be able to sort it out for you. There are combinations of taxi / train / tram options as well but, I'd suggest the only sensible one is a taxi straight to the airport.

May 13th - Last league game of the season. Hopefully you'll get to see the Premiership Trophy being paraded around by the team at the end of the game. If all goes well between now and then it will be an excellent game and a party atmosphere. If things go wrong then it could all be a bit miserable. Fingers crossed for the former.

Hope you enjoy the game.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Tulip to Airport

The last match of the season...tickets will be like gold-dust!

There are lots and lots and things that might happen by then but if we need to win that match to win the league and West Ham need to win to stay up then it could be a great game.

Equally it could be a coronation or a game where we've won nothing!

Depending on what happens, the atmosphere in the city centre should be brilliant in the city centre in the evening as well.

Anyway...the taxi is definitely the best bet. You could get public transport but you'd have to walk to the tram (10 mins), get a tram to Piccadilly (20 mins), get a train to the airport (25 mins) and then walk to Terminal 3 (5 mins).

The hotel would book you a mini-cab and that would cost you about £12 - 15.00. The traffic won't be too bad at all at the time of morning you'll be going and Old Trafford is pretty close to the motorways/main roads to get to the airport. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Tulip to Airport

Thanks to both of you for the help. It is what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure.

It would be cool for the Premiership to come down to the last game, and of course the game with Chelsea getting moved to the week before makes things VERY interesting, but no matter what, I am just honored and thrilled to have the chance to see a game at Old Trafford. For a guy from Minnesota to have this chance is more than I can explain in words. So I hope they win no matter what the circumstances, but above all I just hope to enjoy a great day.

4. Re: Golden Tulip to Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 19, 2009