We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinks & Food in Doncaster, close to train station

Which Doncaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Drinks & Food in Doncaster, close to train station

I am meeting a friend (after 25 years of not seeing her) in November in Doncaster as it half way from where we both live. I am from Manchester and have never been to Doncaster before. We are both catching the train so we can have a few drinks, so need to stay relatively close to the station. We don't mind getting a cab to somewhere nice, as long as its not too far away (prob within 10 mins). I was thinking of a nice comfortable pub with good food. Could anybody recommend anywhere? I have short listed the Beverly Inn, Bar Bistro & the Eagle and Child, are these nice? I like quite contemporary places. Would really appreciate any advice, thank you !!!!

Doncaster
Level Contributor
305 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinks & Food in Doncaster, close to train station

Hi,

It depends when you're coming and what your priorities are. Can't comment on the Beverley Inn but I have heard good things about it so may well be worth a go. Bar Bistro only seems to get busy on weekends and usually with big parties - the food is generally good but I'm not sure it'll have the atmosphere you're looking for. The Eagle and Child is about 15 mins out of the centre. It's always done great pub food but it isn't in the most wonderful of areas so don't expect something idyllic! The thing with Doncaster is it's almost city size, it sprawls out. It has some lovely pubs but you have to travel a bit further out. If you're dead set on a pub, I would seriously consider the Boat Inn at Sprotbrough (I live near it). You won't get amazing food as it's a chain, but I've had some decent meals there. If you look at the reviews, most of the moans relate to waiting times and running out of food. There's a reason for that - it's because it's in a lovely spot and is very cosy and comfortable inside. It's my choice when meeting friends for a catch up because I rate environment over food. If you'd rather not bother with taxis, Doncaster centre does have some decent contemporary restaurants. You might like Relish or Zest - both popular grill bars with a nice atmosphere. There are plenty of pubs to choose from afterwards for a drink!

Doncaster
Level Contributor
305 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinks & Food in Doncaster, close to train station

Missed off the Cadeby Inn - might be ever so slightly over 10 mins ride, but lovely pub and very good food! It's got a website.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinks & Food in Doncaster, close to train station

Hi pandkuk

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. Will look into them, the Boat sounds great at atmosphere is most important I think.

Sorry for long reply, only just checked and forgot to check the notification button!!

Brook

Doncaster
Level Contributor
305 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinks & Food in Doncaster, close to train station

No problem Brook - same here! If you decide on the Boat, become their 'friend' through their website - they often have vouchers for free drinks and/or money off your food bill. The Cadeby Inn is in the same direction as the Boat, about a mile and a half further out. They're both nice inside. I would say the Cadeby leads on food, but the Boat might be more suitable if you're wanting to sit around a while and chat - it has a bigger bar area and more tables in general.

5. Re: Drinks & Food in Doncaster, close to train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, March 13, 2015