We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Morecambe
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

I am thinking of booking a 'drive a steam train experience' for my boyfriend for his christmas gift. It takes place at Elsecar Heritage Railway on a Sunday morning in 'spring/summer 2012'. I would like to make a weekend of it and stay somewhere nice, quite close by on the Saturday night and also eat out that night. Can any one recommend somewhere close to Elsecar to stay and eat. Also we will be driving from Morecambe in Lancashire if anyone could assist with how long(ish) the journey would be that would be great too

Thank you in anticipation

Debz

8 replies to this topic
Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Try googling Tankersley Manor,have stayed there and enjoyed it.They have a good restaurant and are only a short distance from Elsecar. Can`t help with journey time as we live near the east coast.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Debz

I would second Tankersley Manor (QHotel group). Although I've never stayed as a local I've eaten there many times and enjoyed my meals. There is also the Holiday Inn just off junction 37 - one junction up to Elsecar - with the lovely Brooklands Restaurant. Again not stayed but eaten there many times.

qhotels.co.uk/hotels/tankersley-manor-barnsl… www.hibarnsley.com/

Journey from Morecambe to Elsecar will take just a little over 2 hours. I've driven this route many times and it is an easy journey. Do you use the AA route planner? If not have a look at: www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Morecambe
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Hi All,

Thank you all so much for your prompt and helpful replies, I will get on to the recommended websites and make a decision.

Yes, I have used the RAC route planner previously and have found it very helpful although it is rather redundant since my boyfriend was bought a super sat nav by his son for fathers day.

Thanks again

Best Regards

Debz

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Hi,

I agree Tankersley Manor is nice (been to many weddings there) but for around the same price I would reccomend Whitley Hall Hotel, In my opinnion the best hotel in this area.

Although I think it depends if you prefer something small or a chain type hotel. A very nice restaurant is Angelo Cerrone's (italian) - which is in the same village as Whitley Hall. But there is lots of pubs close by if you prefer a more casual meal.

Elsecar Heritage Centre is lovely im sure you will have a great time. In the same village is Clifton Park which makes a nice afternoon walk.

Morecambe
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Hi Lornagracee,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply, I will look into the Whitley Hall Hotel and the resturant too

Thank you again

Regards

Debz

Sheffield
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Hi Debz,

I would say two and a half hours - I'm not far from Elsecar and it usually takes me over an hour and a half to Chorley which is on the way to you.

There are great views on Woodhead, the A628 from Manchester to Barnsley (although Monday to Friday, when the traffic can be horrible, I instead go M61, M60, M62 towards Leeds, then down the M1).

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Hi again Debz

Whitley Hall is indeed in a beautiful setting and lovely restaurant - I held my wedding reception there and attended many functions there - it is down a country lane between the villages of Grenoside (the actual postal address), Burncross and Ecclesfield which are about equal distance from Whitley Hall. Angelo Cerrone's is in the village of Ecclesfield, there are no restaurants in Grenoside but a few pubs (Red Lion and the Old Red Lion - different pubs about 1/2 mile apart in Grenoside) which serve meals. The hotels I originally recommended were closer to the motorway network hence the recommendation.

I think post 4 will mean Elsecar Park - about a 1 mile away from the Heritage Centre and in the same village. As far as I am aware Clifton Park (which I visited many times when my child was young) is about 8 miles away in Rotherham.

Enjoy your planning and your visit.

Edited: 9:53 am, November 30, 2011
Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire

Did you decide on a place to stay? I came across your post whilst looking back ,and became engulfed in nostalgia after reading "lovewarmclimates" post as I was born in Grenoside,went to school in Ecclesfield and lived on Burncross! Next time I am visiting my sister in High Green, I will ask her to check availability at Angelo Cerrone `s for a family meal.

Reply to: Places to stay near Elsecar South Yorkshire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Yorkshire