We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

We are looking for a good standard hotel or Inn,with car parking,in a Yorkshire town/village which has plenty of bars to easily walk to for a few drinks at night .

Can anyone suggest a place which might fit the bill?

The good hotels that have come up so far seem to be out in the sticks.

Must have triple/family rooms as we will have our 15 yr old with us.

(We would ideally like to re-visit Eden Camp during our stay as well and are hoping to stay at The Red Lion at Blakey, Kirbymoorside en route for a night or two. I realise that is in the middle of no-where so need somewhere more lively for the rest of the week )

9 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

It's a bit of a distance from Eden camp but I would recommend Penistone. There are quite a few restaurants and pubs (though forget the spread eagle it's horrible). There are also a few B&B in the area. Maybe try Cubley hall it's about 1 mile out of town though it's a reasonably good hotel/pub/restaurant.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

Helmsley should have what you want. EG The Black Swan, but there are several dotted around the market square.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

Thanks for ideas folks.

The Black Swan,Helmsley looks a favourite at the moment .Will have to contact the hotel about the Superior Family Rooms that are mentioned on their website though, as they don't come up on the on-line booking system.

(And as it's got to be the school holidays,they might have gone!)

If not there, I've spotted a few other other possibilities in the Helmsley area .

Kymbilli - Thanks,have now bookmarked Penistone to have a good look at ,as I'd never heard of it. Could be an idea for a future break.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

I was a bit confused by your question as you've posted on the South Yorkshire forum but you seem to be looking at North Yorkshire locations and suggestions?

I agree Helmsley is reasonably lively (it's in North Yorkshire!) - it's a very attractive little town with a castle to explore, plus you can take a footpath from the town down to Rievaulx Abbey, which would make a lovely day out.

You may also want to consider Pickering, or if you want to stay on the coast then Whitby or Robin Hood's Bay.

Maybe a trip on the steam railway?

www.nymr.co.uk

RHB is small, but a fascinating place to explore.

I love Eden Camp - used to go there very regularly with school trips and always something new to see. The Air Musem just outside York is also fascinating and (in places) very spooky and atmospheric..........

www.yorkshireairmuseum.org

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

I'm open to suggestions for anywhere in Yorkshire ,as we have two seperate weeks hol left. So we could tour North Yorkshire one week and then another part of Yorkshire for the other.

Want to include Eden Camp in the May Holiday, as our son is doing GCSE History,so something might sink in ! We have been before a few years ago and it was very interesting.

Yorkshire Air Museum looks interesting as well. We quite often visit RAF Cosford near to us.

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

I'd recommend Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire, lots of bars, pubs, restaurants and independent shops. There's good walking nearby and places such as Howarth, Skipton and the rest of the Southern Dales are easy day trips.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

Thanks, will have a look. :)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

I have stayed in Helmsley at the Feversham Arms. That's a top hotel with lovely Spa. The town itself is beautiful.

Yorkshire Air Museum is a treat...run by old RAF boys who care about what they are showing you.

Penistone is probably not the place to stay unless you plan on having a walking holiday in the Peaks.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?

Thanks,

We decided that we would like to stay in Helmsley but haven't had any luck in booking a hotel for our May holiday.

I contacted Feversham Arms last weekend but they only have the most expensive suites available for when we want to go.

The Black Swan at Helmsley and a few other hotels haven't replied to our enquiries about availability of a family room.

Feathers Hotel in Helmsley looked good but they hadn't got a suitable room for our dates.

And the Lion Inn at Kirbymoorside ,which we really wanted to visit for a couple of days as part of our trip, has only got a family room for one of the nights we wanted.

Have now booked up in Southport for our May holiday and will try booking somewhere in Helmsley & Kirbymoorside well in advance for our July break.

Reply to: Lively Yorkshire Town or village to stay ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Yorkshire