We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Hi Brickie

Reading your previous posts I understand you were at Uni in Lancaster.

Can you give me some advice as to where we can take our student daughter out for lunch next weekend? Somewhere 'nice'! So far I've looked at the Bay Horse but it didn't seem right somehow. She particularly loves Italian food - do you know Pizza Margherita in Moor Lane? Have you eaten at the Water Witch pub? Or the Vine in King Street?

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

M

Downtown
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Not Brickie - but maybe I can help....

I can recommend Pizza Margherita if you're after an Italian - it's not sensational, but is well established and offers reasonable quality fayre at sensible prices. It's popular amongst students, families and theatre-goers.

The best Italian in town is Etna's, and one which offers the best ambience is probably Marco's.

I wouldn't personally recommend the Vine- which is a pub offering food, as is the Water Witch - which has a pleasant setting on the canal, but in my view is over-priced and over pretentious (for Lancaster).

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm on a laundry run (don't ask!!) to my daughter at the Uni and just thought it would be nice to take her out somewhere for lunch. Pizza Margherita sounds fine for a pizza and a glass of wine.

M

Manchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

I dont agree about the Waterwitch - it's won more awards than any other venue in Lancaster put together during the last three years and the food, I think, is just superb. And how can it be pretentious ?? You're seated on simple wooden seats with slate tables and a pub environment... If anything it's too basic. I've just bought the AA pub guide and it has the Waterwitch as one of it's pubs of the year. Other places to try include the Gatehouse and the Sun Cafe.

uk
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Interesting point Yorkie - I was in the WW yesterday and it resembled a cross between an opium den and a brothel - a bloody awful experience ! !

Let's just say we have extremely wide varying standards, tastes and expectations, eh ?

Lancaster
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Perusing the internet I've come across this thread. I live in Lancaster and I'm astonished at the comments about the Waterwitch. I visit this establishment at least three times a week. I'm a Partner in a well-known firm of accountants and we always take our clients to the Waterwitch. The quality of the food and phenomenal selection of wines/beers on offer never fail to impress current and prospective clients. This is an absurdly impressive gastro-pub that deserves every award going and the comment about it being a cross between a "brothel and an opium den" is, quite frankly, utterly ridiculous. I would simply say to anyone reading the above, I suspect there are people on this website acting with a hidden agenda.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

As the author of the original post,I too am surprised about the WW. I haven't yet been but it appears in several 'reliable' Food Guides and I know for a fact you don't get into some of those guides without being pretty special. Thought I'd wait until summer and enjoy the location.

By the way we ended up in Pizza Margherita - slightly above average food, friendly service, reasonably priced.

Thanks for all the help.

M

uk
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Oh. - well as a fellow Lancastrian professional I can only say that any practice which takes it's "clients" to the WW must regrettably be on Legal Aid.

C'est la vie monsieur...

Manchester
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Fellow Lancastrian professional - don't make me laugh ! I'm a Chartered Accountant, not a lawyer, we don't have LEGAL AID !!

If you're a professional, then I'm the sugar plum fairy.

uk
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brickie - can you help me with Lancaster restaurants please?

Thanks very much to the turf accountants/love birds/kitchen staff of the WW/Jeckyl & Hyde/ knob jockeys etc. aka Jeff and Yorkie - the tutu's in the post.Enjoy lots.

Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations